General Care Discussion :: I just adopted a new turtle and I need some help

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:16 pm   I just adopted a new turtle and I need some help

I have two RES that I was given two years ago as a graduation gift from my biology teacher. They're about 3-4 years of age now and are wonderfully healthy and happy and go by the names of Edmund and Bella. The problem is that on the weekend, I went with my mother to a Reptile Expo hoping to come out with a leopard gecko, my mom had other plans.

She/we adopted a yellow-bellied slider by the name of Theodore (he's the same age and size as the other guys from the guys at "www.littleresq.net" as someone had abondoned him, and since we have the space for him, we decided to take him home. Problem is, Theodore is a biter! When I took him out of the box that was used to cart him back to our place, he tried to bite me while I was taking him out. Yesterday, he did the same thing each time I picked him up to take him out or put him back in the tank. He's also extremely skittish and nervous and last night, he was swimming frantically against the tank, only to do his business after I cleaned it. I've never experienced this with the other two unless I've accidentally pressed too hard on their shells when they were babies, so I'm at a loss.

Here are my questions:
1) How do I stop Theo from trying to bite me?
2)How do I help him adjust to the new tank and tank mates?
3)How do I go about introducing a live diet to Theo since he's never had one?


I'm so sorry for the long post, but I just want to make sure that Theo is fine and safe!
raemax
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Sep 21, 2010
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada

Post Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:12 pm   Re: I just adopted a new turtle and I need some help

To generalize this, he will be okay. He's just been taken to a new home, and some turtles warm up more easily that others. My turtle seems to take like a month to get used to his home and me. So give him some time.

You'll have to watch out for aggressiveness towards his tankmates. If one of them decide to be aggressive towards the other, you will have to separate them, there really isn't a way around it.
User avatar
my.lovely.turtle.
 
Posts: 295
Joined: Aug 3, 2010

Post Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:48 pm   Re: I just adopted a new turtle and I need some help

Thank you so much! I can rest a little easier now and I'll definitely keep an eye out and watch for any signs of aggression.
raemax
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Sep 21, 2010
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada

Post Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:30 pm   Re: I just adopted a new turtle and I need some help

Some turtles will always be more skittish than others, but remember, he's getting used to a new environment. When he realizes you're the food source, he'll probably become more friendly. :D

A bit late now, but it would have been good to quarantine him for about 90 days to help make sure he doesn't have anything your RES could catch.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 12993
Joined: Apr 21, 2005
Location: CT, USA

Post Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:17 pm   Re: I just adopted a new turtle and I need some help

You're welcome! Yes just keep an eye on him, but it does take them awhile to get used to their new environment. He will be okay!! :)
User avatar
my.lovely.turtle.
 
Posts: 295
Joined: Aug 3, 2010


Return to General Care Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 275 guests