Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:20 pm Re: Shedding scutes...
marisa wrote:A larger turtle that's growing more slowly will shed scutes less frequently and for me, it will take longer for them to come off. My RES (nine years old) didn't fully shed this year. My painteds, which are younger (about 6 years), have been shedding once a year. When they shed, the scutes pretty much come off within days.
FYI, blueberries are not a source of calcium, they contain Vit. E. I personally have seen no "speeding up" of shedding with the addition of blueberries to the diet.
Really? I thought they had calcium in them... In any case, When my little ones first started shedding their scutes, I gave them blueberries, and those scutes came off in about a week's worth of time. I haven't been giving blueberries because they are hard to get during the winter months, and, they haven't been shedding their scutes as quickly. I think it depends on how much you give them. Typhoon and Hurricane each got a whole blueberry, and ate the whole thing, even the skin.
I'm also making the educated guess that, since they contain vitamin E, they are good for the skin, and a large part of skin health in reptiles is proper shedding. My understanding has always been that the scutes are just larger scales, if I'm wrong on that I won't be surprised though.
Phryne - Japanese bobtail, 11 y.o.
Hurricane - RES, approx. 19 y.o., 7.00in. long
Typhoon - RES hybrid, approx. 19 y.o., 8 in. long
Sadie - RES, approx. 30+ y.o., 11.5in. long
Sophie - Colombian red tail boa, 15 y.o., 5 ft. long