General Care Discussion :: shedding&breathing issues?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:06 am   shedding&breathing issues?

I have two possible concerns.... I have a 2 year old RES: I have noticed that since he has gotten bigger, when he comes up for air I can hear him breathing. Nothing alarming, but it sounds like regular breathing. So, is that normal for a turtle to breath that loudly to the point I can hear ? There is nothing coming from his nose,etc. Anothr thing: Is it normal for a turtle to shake their claws in a rhythmic fasion in order to get the skin off ? I don't know much about turtles, so any help is appreciated. Thanks!!
butterfly_kisses91886
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Jan 7, 2009

Post Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:53 pm   Re: shedding&breathing issues?

Breathing sounds are sometimes more noticeable when they surface after being submerged for awhile. So what you're hearing is probably normal.

I haven't seen them shake their claws before to get skin off - was it directed to any objects in the tank?
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:04 am   Re: shedding&breathing issues?

No, he was just shaking his claws as to get the shedding skin off. I thought it may be part of the natural shedding process, but I haven't noticed it in a few days.....
butterfly_kisses91886
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Jan 7, 2009

Post Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:20 am   Re: shedding&breathing issues?

I've seen mine bite their claws, but not shake as to wave it off but that doesn't mean that there is something wrong.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:06 pm   Re: shedding&breathing issues?

When you say he shook his claws in a rythmic fashion, did it happen to look like he was fluttering them? If so, this is normal; a solitary RES will often do it at objects they're either interested in or view as an intruder.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 12993
Joined: Apr 21, 2005
Location: CT, USA


Return to General Care Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 227 guests