General Care Discussion :: concerned about my turtle

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:11 pm   concerned about my turtle

My RES is almost 6 years old. She's about 9 inches now. I was gone over Christmas, for a month, and it got severely cold while I was gone. I haven't heated her water before because it doesn't usually get cold enough where I've lived to make a difference, but it's been icy cold this winter. Also, before I left I noticed a small white spot on her shell, but wasn't overly concerned because it was hard and I thought it was a hard water spot. Well, it's gotten bigger since I've been back, and there are a couple other very small spots. I'm pretty sure it's not hard water spots now. Also, I know I've been a bit negligent on her lighting this winter. She was outside over the summer and I've never had a UVB light before with her. I've just let her outside. (I've gotten her one since I've been back home.) I also changed her basking area recently. I built a wood frame around the top. I've had the aquarium filled up to allow the filter to work, and she has managed to get out because of that, falling to the floor. It doesn't look like her shell has cracked, but not sure.

Okay well, to get to the actually question here...she's been rather lethargic lately. I will come into the room and she'll be perched near the bottom with her little eyelids closed. I've been scrubbing her shell with betadine and making her dry out in the tub. I've also added aquarium salt to the water along with frequent water changes. She is still eating, which I suppose is good. And when I come to the tank she will swim around. Does anyone have some ideas as to what's going on exactly? I mean I'm sure my long paragraph up there probably gives a lot of reasons why she's not behaving normally. But I'm unsure of the severity of the situation, but I am concerned, and plan to take her to my vet if she doesn't start improving. I can post some pictures. Looking for advice! Thanks.
User avatar
Chazz
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Jun 17, 2010

Post Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:32 pm   Re: concerned about my turtle

Did you ever get a water heater for her? Also what is the water temp at? Low temperatures can make your turtle move around slow or sleep.
0.1.0 - Trachemys Scripta Elegans (Duper)
1.0.0 - Graptemys Nigrinoda Nigrinoda (Peanut)
0.0.1 - Malaclemys Terrapin Centrata Concentric (Speedy)
User avatar
Jaysea
 
Posts: 515
Joined: Sep 9, 2010
Location: Reading, Pa.
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:28 pm   Re: concerned about my turtle

Yes. I forgot to mention that. I did get a heater along with a slightly warmer basking lamp.
User avatar
Chazz
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Jun 17, 2010

Post Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:06 pm   Re: concerned about my turtle

What exactly is the temp of the water and the basking area? Check them with a thermometer.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 12993
Joined: Apr 21, 2005
Location: CT, USA

Post Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:08 am   Re: concerned about my turtle

Can you post a picture of the area? Most of these white spots are from a fungus infection.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:17 am   Re: concerned about my turtle

Yes I'll take a picture. But I need batteries for my camera. So as soon as I find/get some.
The spot is hard, fairly small. I've tried gently scraping it, and like I said scrubbing with betadine.
It's horribly cold in my apartment. My heat isn't working (!) because my apartment complex hasn't fixed it yet. (It's been a couple weeks) The aquarium heater can hardly keep up. And the basking area, despite the hot basking bulb, can also not stay warm enough. And I can hardly stay warm enough!
User avatar
Chazz
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Jun 17, 2010


Return to General Care Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 283 guests