General Care Discussion :: Hard water deposits on turtle shell!!

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:20 am   Hard water deposits on turtle shell!!

Here in San Antonio our water is really really hard and almost impossible to keep hard water stains from the sides of the tank. I also noticed they are starting to become very noticeable on Rangers shell. I know its that cause I cannot see it under water and its not fuzzy nor smelly. How can I get the deposits off? Also is there anyway to prevent it?
Ranger- 13 year old Red Ear Slider
User avatar
Ranger The Red Ear Slider
 
Posts: 1212
Joined: Jun 18, 2010
Location: San Antonio
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:39 am   Re: Hard water deposits on turtle shell!!

I don't know how hard deposits are to remove (I get soft water) but I use a toothbrush to remove algae from Spartacus' shell and then wash her under a tap. I read lemon juice, some warm water and a toothbrush can be good for mineral deposits but I've never tried it so don't take my word for it! :P
1 RES: Spartacus
4 white mice: Nadia, Reeves, Windsor and Newton
3 Bettas :D
many mollies and widow tetras
kachua-love
 
Posts: 123
Joined: Jul 14, 2010
Location: Mumbai, India
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:23 am   Re: Hard water deposits on turtle shell!!

yup, toothbrush and warm water, if there is a substantial build up you can scrape it away with the back of a butter knife.

i do repefer if i have to scrup my turtle, to use a nail brush rather than a tooth brush.
Owner of :
2 Yellow Belly Sliders - Tumble & Lydia
2 Red Ear Sliders - Bob & Scoot
1 Daughter
3 Sons
blulite
 
Posts: 407
Joined: Sep 11, 2008
Location: Hartlepool, England
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:00 am   Re: Hard water deposits on turtle shell!!

r u sure its deposits and not fungi?
DarkGenoc1de on Playstation Network
SINI5T3R
 
Posts: 1570
Joined: Feb 26, 2010
Location: Casa Grande, Arizona
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:15 pm   Re: Hard water deposits on turtle shell!!

if it is fungi, salt water scrubs with a toothbrush/nailbrush, knife scrapings and an application of clotrimazole cream (canisten/thrush cream) and iodine twice a day will solve it. however be aware that this can take some time to heal so you could be in it for the long run.

i found applying the iodine first ater the saltwater scrub was least messy. then leave for about 10-15 mins before applying the clotrimazole cream.

also if its fungus then keeping your turtle as dry as possible will be needed while treatment it on going. so you would need to dry dock your turt most of the time and only allow it to swim to eat. maybe an hour or 2 per day. you will need a dry docking area or closed basking area for your turt also while treatment is being administered.

again, this is on ly if it is fungus and not water deposits.
Owner of :
2 Yellow Belly Sliders - Tumble & Lydia
2 Red Ear Sliders - Bob & Scoot
1 Daughter
3 Sons
blulite
 
Posts: 407
Joined: Sep 11, 2008
Location: Hartlepool, England
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:29 pm   Re: Hard water deposits on turtle shell!!

Does the deposit on the shell, smell really funky? If it smells funky, then it's a fungus or bacteria. Both are treated about the same as what was described by blulite.

Hard water is a little tough to combat... My tap water isn't terribly hard, but, I have to be very diligent about water changes or I mess up the river cycle I've spent 3 years creating. If I were you, I would do this:

1. 10% water change once a week.
2. Use a filter that cycles 3 or 4 times the amount of water in the tank. So, lets just say your tank has 50 gallons in it. The filter should cycle 150 gallons every hour (GPH). The higher powered Cascade filters are very gentle and great for softening water, I love mine!
3. Use a water conditioner. Everyone on here hates these things but, as long as you stay away from Turtle Clean and that white turtle calcium rock, conditioners are not a bad thing.
4. You can also try to let some algae grow in a manageable amount. Algae can grow anywhere, but it can soften the water a bit. Just make sure the algae isn't floating on the water or growing on the shell, because that's when you have way too much. You can try incorporating bottom feeders or apple snails, but they will likely be eaten. Same goes for live aquatic plants.
Phryne - Japanese bobtail, 11 y.o.
Hurricane - RES, approx. 19 y.o., 7.00in. long
Typhoon - RES hybrid, approx. 19 y.o., 8 in. long
Sadie - RES, approx. 30+ y.o., 11.5in. long
Sophie - Colombian red tail boa, 15 y.o., 5 ft. long
User avatar
theartbook35
 
Posts: 2425
Joined: Mar 25, 2009
Location: Connecticut, US
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:48 pm   Re: Hard water deposits on turtle shell!!

No it's not smelly. I almost certain it's not fungal infection and its hard water. I never really do 10% water changes because a couple of gallons usually evaporates by the end of the week and I have to refill. I do use a water conditioner. How warm does the water have to be?
Ranger- 13 year old Red Ear Slider
User avatar
Ranger The Red Ear Slider
 
Posts: 1212
Joined: Jun 18, 2010
Location: San Antonio
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:03 pm   Re: Hard water deposits on turtle shell!!

70 deg F , basking spot 80 deg F

though personally my water is only aroune 40-50. to encourage my turtles to bask as they werent really interested when i have the 70/80 ratio.

and my house is really really warm in general
Owner of :
2 Yellow Belly Sliders - Tumble & Lydia
2 Red Ear Sliders - Bob & Scoot
1 Daughter
3 Sons
blulite
 
Posts: 407
Joined: Sep 11, 2008
Location: Hartlepool, England
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:30 am   Re: Hard water deposits on turtle shell!!

Shell fungus on RES is usually not soft or smelly. Most of us keep the water around 75-78F. Older RES can be kept in cooler water.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:42 am   Re: Hard water deposits on turtle shell!!

How does it look?? I don't see why my RES would have fungus his water is clean and has the correct basking needs.
Ranger- 13 year old Red Ear Slider
User avatar
Ranger The Red Ear Slider
 
Posts: 1212
Joined: Jun 18, 2010
Location: San Antonio
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:09 am   Re: Hard water deposits on turtle shell!!

Ranger The Red Ear Slider wrote:No it's not smelly. I almost certain it's not fungal infection and its hard water. I never really do 10% water changes because a couple of gallons usually evaporates by the end of the week and I have to refill. I do use a water conditioner. How warm does the water have to be?


You should try and do water changes and not just top off the evaporated water because it is only the water that is evaporating. All the impurities like bacteria, ammonia, salts etc do not go with it, they get more concentrated in the remaining water. Removing the water by hand ensures all the icky stuff is getting out, so you will have cleaner water than when you just top off the evaporated water.
1 RES: Spartacus
4 white mice: Nadia, Reeves, Windsor and Newton
3 Bettas :D
many mollies and widow tetras
kachua-love
 
Posts: 123
Joined: Jul 14, 2010
Location: Mumbai, India
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:37 pm   Re: Hard water deposits on turtle shell!!

Oh, So how much should I take out? I usually refill with a one gallon pitcher how many of them should I take out and refill?
Ranger- 13 year old Red Ear Slider
User avatar
Ranger The Red Ear Slider
 
Posts: 1212
Joined: Jun 18, 2010
Location: San Antonio
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:01 pm   Re: Hard water deposits on turtle shell!!

I would do 25% of the water, in other words, one quarter of the amount in the tank. So, whatever amount is there (you may have to estimate slightly), divide it by 4. Like, if you have 100 gallons in the tank, then take out 25 gallons.
Phryne - Japanese bobtail, 11 y.o.
Hurricane - RES, approx. 19 y.o., 7.00in. long
Typhoon - RES hybrid, approx. 19 y.o., 8 in. long
Sadie - RES, approx. 30+ y.o., 11.5in. long
Sophie - Colombian red tail boa, 15 y.o., 5 ft. long
User avatar
theartbook35
 
Posts: 2425
Joined: Mar 25, 2009
Location: Connecticut, US
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:41 pm   Re: Hard water deposits on turtle shell!!

So like ten gallons? Also is there such a thing of using too much water conditioner? If so what is the "bad" of doing so?
Ranger- 13 year old Red Ear Slider
User avatar
Ranger The Red Ear Slider
 
Posts: 1212
Joined: Jun 18, 2010
Location: San Antonio
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:25 am   Re: Hard water deposits on turtle shell!!

Are you using bio media? If not, then you don't need to add water conditioner. As we've been discussing lately, conditioner may not be the best thing to add into your turtle's water and there are other alternatives (carbon, Purigen) to deal with chlorine/chloramines.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Next

Return to General Care Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 153 guests