General Care Discussion :: Algae on the shell

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:39 am   Algae on the shell

My turtle has algae on his shell. Is this ok or should I take it off? I don't want to stress him out since I just got him yesterday but it is bad for it to be on his shell I don't want to leave it on.
1 RES
1 Desert Banded Gecko
1 Gophersnake
11 Birds
1 Rat
3 Dogs
11 Cats
1 Goat
Herp Lover
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Jun 19, 2011
Location: California, USA
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:49 am   Re: Algae on the shell

http://redearslider.com/shell_conditions.html

"It is normal if there is a small amount of algae on the shell, but it is not a necessary condition. It is usually seen on wild turtles or RES kept in outdoor ponds. Most captive RES that are kept indoors have little or none. Algae should be easy to remove if the area is wiped down with a towel or gently scrubbed with a toothbrush and water."

Are you sure it's algae? Take some pictures and let's be sure. If it's something else like fungi it would require a different treatment.
Out of every 100 men, ten shouldn't even be there. Eighty are just targets. Nine are the real fighters and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Oh, but one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back. -Heraclitus of Ephesus
User avatar
Spike 7.62
 
Posts: 503
Joined: Aug 23, 2009
Location: east coast USA

Post Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:19 pm   Re: Algae on the shell

Thanks, I'm sure that it's algae. I'll try to get some pictures later. It is just a little bit on the top of the shell.
1 RES
1 Desert Banded Gecko
1 Gophersnake
11 Birds
1 Rat
3 Dogs
11 Cats
1 Goat
Herp Lover
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Jun 19, 2011
Location: California, USA
Gender: Female


Return to General Care Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 213 guests