General Care Discussion :: Signs of Shedding?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:43 pm   Signs of Shedding?

Hey Everyone! I was watching TV and looking into Tucker's tank during a commercial today and noticed that Tucker was doing push-ups with a piece of driftwood on her back! I thought man, what a badass! But then, I noticed she might be trying to scratch her shell. I have noticed that some of her shell appears to have air underneath it, kinda looks like it might be coming off. Will turtles scratch at their shell or rub it on something to get off the scutes? If she is shedding/peeling I would imagine it would be like a sunburn and would itch when it peels. Anyway, just wondering if anyone knows.

Also, I was reading about eggs...should I make a place for her to lay eggs? I don't want her to become sick if she doesn't lay them when she's supposed to. I don't plan on breeding turtles....my wife would kill me! hahaha!

Last thing, I bought a water hyacinth the other day and it is dying I think. Anyone have any tips on how to keep them alive? Maybe it's not getting enough light but I have a high output fluorescent light fixture so I can't imagine it not providing enough of the good stuff. I tied the thing in place under the light so it's not floating around anymore. Maybe that'll help. Sorry about all the questions under one topic. I know I have more I just forgot! Thanks!!
STOP SNAPPER FEST! LETS GRAB SOME HILLBILLIES BY THEIR MULLETS AND THROW THEM TO THE GROUND!
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/stopsnapperfest/

My build thread!
http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31728
User avatar
Tucker Allen
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Apr 4, 2011
Location: Central Illinois
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:20 pm   Re: Signs of Shedding?

People have said before that they think their RES scratch their backs when they want to shed. It's one of those things that I'm unsure of, but numerous people do believe it.

There are numerous topics about egg-laying. The best place for them is someplace outdoors like a backyard where they can choose a nest. They are very instinctive when the time comes.

I don't know about water hyacinth, but I'm sure its been discussed before. Good luck!
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:28 pm   Re: Signs of Shedding?

Tucker was doing push-ups with a piece of driftwood on her back! I thought man, what a badass! [/quote]
That's to funny! I've noticed my turtle occasionally finding something in his tank to scratch his back on. It's funny to watch. I haven't had to deal with egg laying yet. Most people say you'll know when because the turtle becomes frantic to get out. When your turtle gets frantic that's the time to take her outside. Bring a book and keep an eye on her. They're Houdinis. How big is your turtle?
Stupid is as stupid does. - Forest Gump
The only dumb question is one not asked.
Love of Animals
 
Posts: 864
Joined: Jan 5, 2011
Location: Yorktown, NY
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:57 am   Re: Signs of Shedding?

She's just over 4 in. long.
STOP SNAPPER FEST! LETS GRAB SOME HILLBILLIES BY THEIR MULLETS AND THROW THEM TO THE GROUND!
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/stopsnapperfest/

My build thread!
http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31728
User avatar
Tucker Allen
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Apr 4, 2011
Location: Central Illinois
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:03 pm   Re: Signs of Shedding?

If she just hit 4 inches you probably have a while to wait for eggs. She's a sub adult now.
Stupid is as stupid does. - Forest Gump
The only dumb question is one not asked.
Love of Animals
 
Posts: 864
Joined: Jan 5, 2011
Location: Yorktown, NY
Gender: Female


Return to General Care Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 146 guests