General Care Discussion :: 2 Newly Adopted RES Behavior Normal?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:18 am   2 Newly Adopted RES Behavior Normal?

Recently adopted 2 separate red eared sliders that have been living with each other for a couple days in a 45 gallon tank. One is a yearling that is about 4-4.5 inches long and the other is a juvenile that I would say would be pushing 2 inches. I kept them separated for a bit bringing them together outside the tank before ever letting them range free together. It almost seemed like the bigger one was a little intimidated by the smaller one. Outside the tank the bigger one was very cautious around the smaller one even hiding in the shell when the little one wandered over to it. After a bit and no aggression was shown by both of them I cautiously put them in the tank together to see how they will react.

I am planning on getting a 65 gallon tank just planning out where it is going in my house but for now they seem to be doing well together. Both are eating and show no aggression towards each other but now the bigger one is acting almost like a mother to the little one. It is always helping the little one up onto the basking area even when it doesn't seem to need help. When the big one comes up for breathes it is always looking to see if the little one was where it was before. My main concern is the bigger one setting the little guy up or actually trying to be a helping hand because I know they are territorial. I noticed that the bigger ones orange on its head got extremely bright at points when feeding but it even allows the little one to eat the pieces of crickets and turtle sticks I break up for him. I even watched the bigger one nudge pieces to the little one to make sure it is eating. I've been keeping a very close eye on both of them and they seem to be very fond of each other and I am just curious if it is something to be excited about or concerned about what could happen.
toddvan
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Jan 16, 2012
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:33 pm   Re: 2 Newly Adopted RES Behavior Normal?

Aggression can happen suddenly and be very violent. It's fine to keep them together, but you might be overestimating their relationship. If you can post a video, I'd gladly take a look at this behavior.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male


Return to General Care Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 245 guests