General Care Discussion :: Can my two RES's scratch each others eyes?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:48 pm   Can my two RES's scratch each others eyes?

I have two female RES's and they always swim at the glass when they see me. They get excited and start hitting each other in the face sometimes. I know their claws are sharp but can they do any real harm to them by scratching their eyes?
Toren
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Apr 20, 2012
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:22 pm   Re: Can my two RES's scratch each others eyes?

I don't think so there pretty protective over there eyes. My turtle is quick to paw his eyes if he can't get them open in the morning :P
Pets:
Izzy- 2.5 inch 1 year old cooter turtle
Rizzu- 1 inch 6 months old cooter turtle
Kurby-1.5 inch cooter turtle(R.I.P)
Rebble- 4 year old boxer dog

pics of kurby
http://imgur.com/a/VwYfx#3
User avatar
kerby
 
Posts: 209
Joined: Apr 17, 2012
Location: Florida
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:47 pm   Re: Can my two RES's scratch each others eyes?

An injury is always possible, though I don't recall any serious ones from happening this way. Do keep in mind the claws get longer and sharper as they get older.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:03 am   Re: Can my two RES's scratch each others eyes?

Mine like to scratch at his biting stone so that helps his claws
Pets:
Izzy- 2.5 inch 1 year old cooter turtle
Rizzu- 1 inch 6 months old cooter turtle
Kurby-1.5 inch cooter turtle(R.I.P)
Rebble- 4 year old boxer dog

pics of kurby
http://imgur.com/a/VwYfx#3
User avatar
kerby
 
Posts: 209
Joined: Apr 17, 2012
Location: Florida
Gender: Male


Return to General Care Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 179 guests