General Care Discussion :: Weird topic alert: "Disciplining" a turtle

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:10 pm   Weird topic alert: "Disciplining" a turtle

Ok, I totally realize that this is an odd question, but I've been thinking a lot about it lately:

Sometimes my turtles do undesirable things. Sometimes they think my hand is food and they'll bite me, other times they eat the fake plants or try to get out of the enclosure.

I've been able to train my turtles to do fabulous things, and have them wrapped around my finger, except with a few things that I'd like to train them out of.
User avatar
JimmyLo
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Dec 3, 2012
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:35 pm   Re: Weird topic alert: "Disciplining" a turtle

I've been thinking about that since I got my trio of RES over 20 years ago LOL, but have learned to accept that it's just their instinct and that they are not too bright (or pretend not too!).

They remind me of zombies in a way, as they seem to be driven by hunger more than anything!

But I'm glad that my remaining one responds to my voice, and comes up to "snuggle" when he's out and about!
LeonardoTheTerrapin
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Oct 11, 2012
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:18 am   Re: Weird topic alert: "Disciplining" a turtle

I was wondering about this myself the other day.
I know they can be trained with enough positive reinforcement (treats and food), but I have no idea if they'd grok punishment of some sort since they run on instinct so much. It might make them scared.

Let me know if you make progress with any method.



Zombies in shells.
Outside Pond Boys: :mrgreen:Timmy & Chewy & Ike
Outside Pond Girls: :msgreen:Betty & Frick & Frack & Tina & Nyrtle-Sweetpea
Inside Tank: :mrgreen:Sheldon :msgreen: Mork :msgreen: Mindy
Nursery: :?: Baby Timmy & Ranger
User avatar
apondfortimmy
 
Posts: 489
Joined: Sep 8, 2012
Location: Las Vegas
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:06 am   Re: Weird topic alert: "Disciplining" a turtle

Lol i poke mine in the nose when their bad. Does nothing but i feel like i tried meh lol.
Instagram: Diamondbacks4Life
User avatar
Diamondbacks4Life
Moderator
 
Posts: 2349
Joined: Apr 4, 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:41 am   Re: Weird topic alert: "Disciplining" a turtle

I think the turtle may respond better to positive reinforcement if at all. What your describing is basically what everyone's turtle does, it's all basic instinct.
User avatar
devilduck
 
Posts: 957
Joined: May 11, 2012
Location: Chicago, IL.
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:51 pm   Re: Weird topic alert: "Disciplining" a turtle

Turtles are curious, which tricks us into thinking they're smart but their end goal is always food food food food :P/
ignites
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Oct 12, 2012


Return to General Care Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 175 guests