General Care Discussion :: YBS Leg Issue

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:05 pm   YBS Leg Issue

Hi, Turtle Fans,

I have a question. As of a few hours ago, my YBS seems to be favoring her front right leg--she will occasionally use it to swim (which she still does quite well).

However, she also spends a portion of her time (in and out of the water) just keeping it a) retracted into her shell, or b) out to the side. (To visualize the latter, imagine a turtle trying to walk, but with one of its front legs splayed out to the side, as if trying to swim through the air, making minimal contact with the ground).

Could it be sprained? I noticed her pushing a thick piece of wood around the pond bottom yesterday, using that same leg (before this happened).

Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you in advance.
Jeremiah
 
Posts: 575
Joined: Jun 7, 2013
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:23 pm   Re: YBS Leg Issue

I'd check it our for any sensitivity. Be careful because she might take a snap at you if she doesn't like it :)
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:48 pm   Re: YBS Leg Issue

Indeed! I gently tried touching it, to see if she would automatically withdraw it, but she didn't move it at all. She did snap, but that was one of her habits before this incident, in the first place.
Jeremiah
 
Posts: 575
Joined: Jun 7, 2013
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:00 pm   Re: YBS Leg Issue

Just an update. Today, it swelled a really small amount. However, she is now back to using it almost as much/efficiently, as she did before. She even climbed up a hill with it. I'm not really sure about how to react to this "trade-off"...
Jeremiah
 
Posts: 575
Joined: Jun 7, 2013
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:54 am   Re: YBS Leg Issue

They are one huge mystery!
If it were me I would just keep an eye on it. If it she stops using it again, or if it starts to swell more, then you may want to get it checked out.
I hope she was just having an off moment and everything is a-ok.
"I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights"
~ "Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories" by Dr. Seuss ~
User avatar
penelope
 
Posts: 1393
Joined: Oct 17, 2007
Location: San Jose, California
Gender: Female


Return to General Care Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 233 guests