General Care Discussion :: What's on her shell?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:50 pm   What's on her shell?

I know it must get old everyone posting every thing they feel is an ailment for their turts and expecting someone to give all the answers. I have been looking at every shell issue thread that I have seen and I am still not sure what is on her shell though. I have tried using vingegar to clean it off thinking it is hard water. I have tried betadine not sure if it was something infected/growing. There is no odor to it or any softness to the scutes that are white. The scute feels like all the other scutes. This appeared after a huge shedding.
Image
Image
2- RES
-Hester 5.25" (Female)
-Turty 4" (Female)
Eltemp
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Feb 21, 2013
Location: Southern Minnesota
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:00 pm   Re: What's on her shell?

Looks like shell fungus. Were the scutes that shed thick or previously retained? Did they look normal?
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:51 pm   Re: What's on her shell?

They were really retained when I got her. What works best to fight it?
2- RES
-Hester 5.25" (Female)
-Turty 4" (Female)
Eltemp
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Feb 21, 2013
Location: Southern Minnesota
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:54 pm   Re: What's on her shell?

Well guess I will have to try use sulfa dip then. Wonder if the local shops have it
2- RES
-Hester 5.25" (Female)
-Turty 4" (Female)
Eltemp
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Feb 21, 2013
Location: Southern Minnesota
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:09 pm   Re: What's on her shell?

I don't seem to be able to find sulfa dip anywhere in town. I am going to try salt water soaks with some dry docking. What is the best method for dry docking so I don't overheat or dehydrate turtles?
2- RES
-Hester 5.25" (Female)
-Turty 4" (Female)
Eltemp
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Feb 21, 2013
Location: Southern Minnesota
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:01 am   Re: What's on her shell?

Any chance you can get SSD (silver sulfadiazine) cream from a vet? I doubt sulfa dip or salt work at this point.

Dry docking overnight is the easiest way to do it. This is my instruction for SSD:

There are a few ways to do it but first make sure your tank/filtration/lighting/water quality/basking stuff is 100% ready because you don't want a reoccurrence. As for applying the cream, during the evening I would let the turtle go into a dry enclosure (could be a large box, sectioned off room, etc) for about 30-60 minutes. The turtle won't like it but you want the shell to be dry. Apply a very small, thin layer of the cream. It's greasy, so spread it around. Turn off the lights and let the turtle sleep overnight with the cream on. In the morning, there will be some residue, so you will have to wipe the shell and possibly scrub it (with a new, clean toothbrush) under some water. Wipe again and return the turtle into the main tank.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:54 pm   Re: What's on her shell?

I will have to try and get it from a vet sulfa dip has been discontinued.
2- RES
-Hester 5.25" (Female)
-Turty 4" (Female)
Eltemp
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Feb 21, 2013
Location: Southern Minnesota
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:26 am   Re: What's on her shell?

I wasn't aware of that, though to be honest it is more useful as a preventative medication.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:27 pm   Re: What's on her shell?

Took her in today. Vet could not see any sign of fungus under the microscope but gave us some MicaVed lotion to use on a dry shell once a day.

Fixed a typo
2- RES
-Hester 5.25" (Female)
-Turty 4" (Female)
Eltemp
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Feb 21, 2013
Location: Southern Minnesota
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:56 pm   Re: What's on her shell?

Good to hear it's not fungus.

How hard is your water? Could it be hard water stains? If so, vinegar should be able to clean it.
Tobi a RES born in 2012
1 dog, 1 teenager, 3 aquariums filled with fish, snails, shrimp and a bit of algae
User avatar
ljapa
 
Posts: 925
Joined: Jul 21, 2012
Location: Near Chicago in IN
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:20 pm   Re: What's on her shell?

I had tried that already to no affect.
2- RES
-Hester 5.25" (Female)
-Turty 4" (Female)
Eltemp
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Feb 21, 2013
Location: Southern Minnesota
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:37 am   Re: What's on her shell?

How do you do the vinegar dip?
FAREWELL DUMBORK
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=36799

follow my blog: dumbork.wordpress.com
youtube: pawii29

pictures and video
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=32931
User avatar
dumbork14
 
Posts: 761
Joined: Jun 18, 2012
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:04 am   Re: What's on her shell?

I am not sure what to look for under a microscope, though it can be cultured. With the vinegar not working as I would expect, have you tried the SSD cream?
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:44 am   Re: What's on her shell?

I have been using the micaved they would not give me ssd.
2- RES
-Hester 5.25" (Female)
-Turty 4" (Female)
Eltemp
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Feb 21, 2013
Location: Southern Minnesota
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:32 pm   Re: What's on her shell?

Sorry to hear that. As far as I know, only SSD cream has been effective against this type of infection.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Next

Return to General Care Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 167 guests