General Care Discussion :: Can sneezing be normal?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:24 pm   Can sneezing be normal?

Can red eared sliders sneeze but not be sick?

My turtle has been living in the same conditions of its home for the passed 2 years. Today, after being fed, I placed him in his little home but forgot to turn on the heating light. When I got back (maybe after 10 minutes), I turned it on & probs right after, he sneezed. I heard it when I left so I quickly checked on him. No mouth open, no bubbles just a regular normal sneeze but is that ok?

I think I'm just paranoid.
Soapywaffles
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Mar 26, 2014
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:30 pm   Re: Can sneezing be normal?

Sneezing is not really normal but perhaps you thought thats what it was? What is his setup like?
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:56 pm   Re: Can sneezing be normal?

Well, it's nothing fancy. I live in a tropical country so there's no worry about the cold here. His home is right beside a window so he gets sunlight. I do have a heating lamp (just the regular one for plants, no uv) Literally keeps the water heated and them as well. That's about it. Rocks for basking.

I don't really know what sneezing sounds like for a turtle but it somewhat sounded like it & he jerked in my peripheral vision when he made the sound.
Soapywaffles
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Mar 26, 2014
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:00 am   Re: Can sneezing be normal?

If you're going to keep a tank near of by the window, be aware that smaller tanks will have wild temperature swings. Has it happened again?
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:38 pm   Re: Can sneezing be normal?

Actually, it hasn't happened again. But I'm still very paranoid and keeping a close eye on him. He shares his home with a female but they're separated by a divider and she's pretty okay. She's three years old.

I'm feeding them now & while the water is still pretty cold, or I'm just paranoid again, I left the heating lamp on even if it's summer already here.
Soapywaffles
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Mar 26, 2014
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:23 pm   Re: Can sneezing be normal?

Do you know what the water temperature is?
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:06 am   Re: Can sneezing be normal?

No, I don't. But he hasn't sneezed after that. Do you think he just felt cold at that time?
Soapywaffles
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Mar 26, 2014
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:23 pm   Re: Can sneezing be normal?

It happens occasionally, but it could just as well be a twitch, an itch or something else.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue May 20, 2014 8:42 pm   Re: Can sneezing be normal?

ok ok, so... im the same person as above (hehehe) but thats bc i couldnt log in for my previous acc so i made a new one bc i was lazy to figure out why the forgot password wasnt recognizing my email

ANYWAY

im dead worried ok bc well, i live in the Philippines & its always hot here so i nvr rly kept tabs on the temperature bc its always hot anyway. but this time of year, it's summer so it's twice as hot. anyway, my mom said she heard my turtle (the same one i talked abt above) sneeze. or at least she thought it was a sneeze. she said something sneezed a lot on monday & once yesterday. its wednesday now. anyway, i dont get why he would be sneezing bc its very hot alrdy. im really worried so please help!
B_INX
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Aug 12, 2012
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Tue May 20, 2014 10:53 pm   Re: Can sneezing be normal?

A "sneeze" could be almost anything, I'd keep an eye out out for any symptoms.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed May 21, 2014 11:36 am   Re: Can sneezing be normal?

Soapywaffles wrote:Well, it's nothing fancy. I live in a tropical country so there's no worry about the cold here. His home is right beside a window so he gets sunlight. I do have a heating lamp (just the regular one for plants, no uv) Literally keeps the water heated and them as well. That's about it. Rocks for basking.

I don't really know what sneezing sounds like for a turtle but it somewhat sounded like it & he jerked in my peripheral vision when he made the sound.


Is that window open or closed? Glass does block UVB.
Kozakura
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Jan 5, 2014
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Thu May 22, 2014 11:07 am   Re: Can sneezing be normal?

Kozakura wrote:
Soapywaffles wrote:Well, it's nothing fancy. I live in a tropical country so there's no worry about the cold here. His home is right beside a window so he gets sunlight. I do have a heating lamp (just the regular one for plants, no uv) Literally keeps the water heated and them as well. That's about it. Rocks for basking.

I don't really know what sneezing sounds like for a turtle but it somewhat sounded like it & he jerked in my peripheral vision when he made the sound.


Is that window open or closed? Glass does block UVB.


we open the window so there's wind too.
B_INX
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Aug 12, 2012
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Thu May 22, 2014 11:08 am   Re: Can sneezing be normal?

steve wrote:A "sneeze" could be almost anything, I'd keep an eye out out for any symptoms.

okay okay. im just so paranoid! he ate tho so, that's a good sign, right?
B_INX
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Aug 12, 2012
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Thu May 22, 2014 6:34 pm   Re: Can sneezing be normal?

Has there been any other changes?
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sun May 25, 2014 4:01 am   Re: Can sneezing be normal?

none. he doesnt sneeze as often though. but i still cant find the reason to why he has been sneezing in the first place...
B_INX
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Aug 12, 2012
Gender: Female

Next

Return to General Care Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 184 guests