General Care Discussion :: Okay so new here. But need some advice.

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Tue May 19, 2015 9:44 am   Okay so new here. But need some advice.

Hello, you can call me sushie or sneaky(doesn't matter)...

I have a little dilemma... SO yesterday for an early birthday gift (my birthday isn't even until june but apparently it was the best time) I received a female red eared slider whom I named Hannibal (after yes, hannibal the cannibal to remind me of her personality). A rambunctious one! Did not know (from previous experience I used to own a male who was peaceful and passive)....that this turtle would be like this... But she has a very "elitist" personality. Apparently she tried attacking my baby painted turtle which I kept there before her... As I didn't had a place to put her in the mean time.

Now the tiny painter is in it's own tank. She occassionally harasses my female stinkpot turtle.

Firstly is there ever going to be a chance that this turtle just can't be with other turtles? Because I am moving her up to a 55 gallon aquarium for now(my dream is a 75-125gallon at least). Problem is she's a pig and is extremely messy compared to my stinkpot. What would be the best filtration system for this piggy? But a filtration system that isn't annoying to constantly change... I was thinking of using a ton of these http://www.thatpetplace.com/fluval-u4-u ... ter-65-gal like 5 of them and maybe a small canister filter. Or a sump. But idk if sumps are easy to keep up with.

I just want an easy filtration system.

I feed her generously about the size of her head(and a few extra pellets like 2-3). I've got her to feed on a piece of baby carrot. Since I read that they need a veggie diet too.... Is it possible to just feed it pellets made for herbivores? Like one for tortoises? OR what do you think?
User avatar
SneakySushie
 
Posts: 182
Joined: May 19, 2015
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue May 19, 2015 1:12 pm   Re: Okay so new here. But need some advice.

RES generally have pretty dominant personalities. Females are less likely to harass/fight but it happens. Perhaps her previous owner was tough, so she needs some time to adjust but there is no guarantee that they will get along. It's part of the issue with turtle ownership.

For a filter, shoot for a FX5 or FX6. Not cheap but they work very well and a quality canister should last 10 or more years. If you are feeding her pellets daily, then I would use about 1/3 the head amount. Less is even better. Veggies should be added as well... check redearslider.com/plants.html
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue May 19, 2015 3:44 pm   Re: Okay so new here. But need some advice.

steve wrote:RES generally have pretty dominant personalities. Females are less likely to harass/fight but it happens. Perhaps her previous owner was tough, so she needs some time to adjust but there is no guarantee that they will get along. It's part of the issue with turtle ownership.

For a filter, shoot for a FX5 or FX6. Not cheap but they work very well and a quality canister should last 10 or more years. If you are feeding her pellets daily, then I would use about 1/3 the head amount. Less is even better. Veggies should be added as well... check redearslider.com/plants.html

Will she be good in her 55g? Currently she's in a immediete 30gallon aquarium(very temporairly). She stopped harassing the other turtle but I don't dare put the baby turtle in there.
User avatar
SneakySushie
 
Posts: 182
Joined: May 19, 2015
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue May 19, 2015 9:54 pm   Re: Okay so new here. But need some advice.

We recommend 10 gallons of tank per inch of shell length. So a 90 gallon tank is good for a turtle that is 9" long.

As for hatchlings... yes, they should only be kept with similar sized turtles.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue May 19, 2015 9:58 pm   Re: Okay so new here. But need some advice.

steve wrote:We recommend 10 gallons of tank per inch of shell length. So a 90 gallon tank is good for a turtle that is 9" long.

As for hatchlings... yes, they should only be kept with similar sized turtles.

Well what if she becomes 12inches which she probably will be? She's currently 6inches I think or about the size of my hand.
User avatar
SneakySushie
 
Posts: 182
Joined: May 19, 2015
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue May 19, 2015 10:02 pm   Re: Okay so new here. But need some advice.

How old is she? I think 7-9 inches is realistic for most female RES. There will be some that get bigger, but it's not common.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue May 19, 2015 10:09 pm   Re: Okay so new here. But need some advice.

Also what's the strongest UVB bulb possible? I want something that's like the real sun but without the heat because I had a thing were mercury vapor light got water touched it and it exploded... So I am looking for a strong light that just produces high amount of UVB but won't explode when a drop of water touches it e___e; It's why I am not sure if to get a heat bulb for the basking area since it could explode too... My room however is almost always 72degrees in summer, and 69-65degrees in winter.... SO if there's a way to keep it hot without any explosions going on..... I shudder at that event...

)____
On top of that... What's a bulb that keeps its uvb output for longer than 30 days? APparently a lot of the bulbs loose their power after that...
Last edited by SneakySushie on Tue May 19, 2015 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
SneakySushie
 
Posts: 182
Joined: May 19, 2015
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue May 19, 2015 10:11 pm   Re: Okay so new here. But need some advice.

steve wrote:How old is she? I think 7-9 inches is realistic for most female RES. There will be some that get bigger, but it's not common.
I have no clue how old she is... All I know is I got her a couple of days ago from a petco which was gifted to me by my mother... lol... We planned on getting her a big aquarium but we thought for now a 55 gallon would do... Unless I can find a 125 g dirt cheap. xD Since the 55g was free....
User avatar
SneakySushie
 
Posts: 182
Joined: May 19, 2015
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue May 19, 2015 11:32 pm   Re: Okay so new here. But need some advice.

Was the MVB too close? I have not tried this, but it might suit your needs: http://www.reptileuv.com/megaray-eb-60- ... mp-kit.php

Reptisun 10.0 tubes are well regarded. Those should be good for 6-9 months.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed May 20, 2015 12:56 am   Re: Okay so new here. But need some advice.

steve wrote:Was the MVB too close? I have not tried this, but it might suit your needs: http://www.reptileuv.com/megaray-eb-60- ... mp-kit.php

Reptisun 10.0 tubes are well regarded. Those should be good for 6-9 months.

but will it explode on contact from water? it was a mvb and im not sure.
User avatar
SneakySushie
 
Posts: 182
Joined: May 19, 2015
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed May 20, 2015 1:09 pm   Re: Okay so new here. But need some advice.

I haven't heard of tubes exploding and the one in the link doesn't produce much heat. You will want to keep the bulb at a safe distance of course.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed May 20, 2015 1:37 pm   Re: Okay so new here. But need some advice.

steve wrote:I haven't heard of tubes exploding and the one in the link doesn't produce much heat. You will want to keep the bulb at a safe distance of course.
Okay thanks. I am trying to find a 75 gallon tank for now... But im hoping to get a deal on it.
User avatar
SneakySushie
 
Posts: 182
Joined: May 19, 2015
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed May 20, 2015 3:12 pm   Re: Okay so new here. But need some advice.

Deals on tanks greater than 55 gallons are more commonly found on craigslist than in stores.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed May 20, 2015 5:44 pm   Re: Okay so new here. But need some advice.

steve wrote:Deals on tanks greater than 55 gallons are more commonly found on craigslist than in stores.

Yeah we found one. Hopefully it yields us a big tank.
User avatar
SneakySushie
 
Posts: 182
Joined: May 19, 2015
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed May 20, 2015 8:45 pm   Re: Okay so new here. But need some advice.

Anyone ever notice they tend to follow you around? Like I am not making this up. It's always at the side of the tank that I am closest to... I don't think she likes me but probably wants something from me. I can't help but feed her every once in a blue moon cause of it.
User avatar
SneakySushie
 
Posts: 182
Joined: May 19, 2015
Gender: Male

Next

Return to General Care Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 138 guests