General Care Discussion :: New owener have some problems plese

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:28 am   New owener have some problems plese

First I just new with red eared slider turtle....and not prefect in English

I found these two baby at street market in the very tiny bowl which they can't even move body around I feel sorry for them so I brought them out !

I already read the very basic info about them...

I let them live in fish tank (no fish in it) about 10 gallons (they just 1 inch) fresh water (which change every 2 days)

strong wood for basking area , 2 fake plants and UVB bulb for aquatic turtle

My friend used to have turtles come to see and said these 2 are male(1 inch) and female(1 inch and half)

It been 3 weeks now they seem to be happy love to eat very much and like to stick together all the time

but it still have some problems until this day...

1.Male : look peaceful love to basking after food times but he still eat only blood worms and small white shrimps I try to give him turtle food for vitamin and duckweed or carrot but he not eat at all ! now I just feed only blood worms and shrimp....or I should change it foods now?

2.Is My turtle foods good to use?

fish meal ,corn,rice bran,rice,calcium,vitamin A D,carbonate,mono calcium,phosphate,minerals

Crude Protein(Min): 35% Crude Fiber (Max) 4% Crude Fat (Min) 3% Moisture 12%

3.female : I most worry about her

3.1.Since I brought her she never basking she will go up only she see male go up first but just 5 sec and she go away I heard if turtle only in water it will sick like?

3.2.Her skin begin to shedding but how long it take ?

3.3 She love to eat (eat everything!) and always swimming around basking area try to find somethings to eat! she but 2 day ago it look like she also tried to bite corner of wood and fake plants...

Worry things was when male went up to basking area and she saw his tail or feet above water...she also tried to bite it and run away very quick when he move!
(I don't think she mean to bite him haha...) but I don't know either what happened to her now...I worry someday she will accident bite him hard until get wound :(

Thank.... :)
owintertimeo
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Feb 6, 2016

Post Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:09 pm   Re: New owener have some problems plese

Congrats on the turtles.

It sounds like you are doing things right.

Your turtle food is good. There are better, but yours should work.

You do want to try to get your smaller turtle to eat the pellets. Don't worry if it doesn't eat duckweed. At that age, most wild turtles just eat live food. Keep trying. When it gets bigger, things may change.

Your larger turtle may bask more when you aren't around. It may be more scared.

Uvb and basking is important. But, there is some vitamin D in the pellets, which will make up for no basking.

Also, your turtles are too small to be certain about their sex.

Finally, do keep an eye on the biting. Some turtles aren't able to get along together. You may need to separate them some day.

What are their names?
Tobi a RES born in 2012
1 dog, 1 teenager, 3 aquariums filled with fish, snails, shrimp and a bit of algae
User avatar
ljapa
 
Posts: 925
Joined: Jul 21, 2012
Location: Near Chicago in IN
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:16 am   Re: New owener have some problems plese

Thank for advice! well...about the name my little sister like to call them Nemo and Dory since she love to watch this movie so much :lol:
owintertimeo
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Feb 6, 2016

Post Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:38 am   Re: New owener have some problems plese

Welcome to the forum! I think all your questions were covered :D
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:28 am   Re: New owener have some problems plese

Finally my small baby interesting to eat green leaf lettuce (maybe he so hungry) after I reduce white shrimps but remain blood worms and add more pellets for his menu.

And today I put some green leaf lettuce just want to know how he react about it and...he eat it. It good for them like??

Anyway it look like their shell began to change into dark green and have some tiny white spot in middle of shell...their shell are shedding too?
owintertimeo
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Feb 6, 2016

Post Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:26 pm   Re: New owener have some problems plese

Green leaf lettuce is good for them.

You still want to keep with the pellets at this age when they are gong, but also let them have lettuce. It is good that they eat a variety of food. I've head that can help if they are ever sick.

You can save the shrimp for special treats.
Tobi a RES born in 2012
1 dog, 1 teenager, 3 aquariums filled with fish, snails, shrimp and a bit of algae
User avatar
ljapa
 
Posts: 925
Joined: Jul 21, 2012
Location: Near Chicago in IN
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:48 pm   Re: New owener have some problems plese

You don't need the blood worms. Do you have a picture of the white spot? Babies occasionally get some discoloration, and sometimes it isn't anything to worry about.
Jeremiah
 
Posts: 575
Joined: Jun 7, 2013
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:27 pm   Re: New owener have some problems plese

Oh my!! I went for business trip about 2 days and let my father take care with him....I came back and saw his shell began to be like this!

Father just feed him like I said before and turn on UVB light 10 hours / day. But he look so happy and active like normal...

Image
owintertimeo
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Feb 6, 2016

Post Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:52 am   Re: New owener have some problems plese

Probably fed him too much from the looks of it.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:59 am   Re: New owener have some problems plese

So I have to reduce their meals to once a day then.

Is his shell have any problems?
owintertimeo
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Feb 6, 2016

Post Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:10 pm   Re: New owener have some problems plese

It's more about reducing quantity than frequency. How much does he get now? I'd also suggest getting a pillbox and sorting out his pellets, that way other people won't be tempted to give too many treats/pellets.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:16 am   Re: New owener have some problems plese

Thank for advice! and for one turtle I feed...

blood worms 1/3 of piece once a day(and 2 small prices of raw shrimp (equal it head) 3 times in a week).

turtle foods 2 pieces twice a day (one piece small than his head)

small price of green leaf lettuce once a day in evening
owintertimeo
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Feb 6, 2016

Post Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:30 pm   Re: New owener have some problems plese

Skip the blood worms/shrimp and use them as rare treats.

How much is "turtle foods"? Does he like the lettuce?
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:06 am   Re: New owener have some problems plese

Turtle foods about 0.8 cm. in this pic

Image

And yes! he really love lettuce. I give him large equal his body and it will empty in 15 min.

My turtles begging for foods all day .They like to drive in water find something to eat!

I think my bigger one start to dominance I don't know is it normal or not but I see her often put an arm on his shell and stare at his face for 5 sec. and let him go

(but no sign of fluttering) and when he sleeping she also like to stand next to him with open her eyes.

I don't know if they get along or not.... :lol:
owintertimeo
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Feb 6, 2016

Post Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:28 pm   Re: New owener have some problems plese

Does pellets do look a little big, how big are they compared to his head? As for veggies, be careful if they eat too quickly as they might throw up.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Next

Return to General Care Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 178 guests