General Care Discussion :: Need help/ guidance

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:05 pm   Need help/ guidance

Ive noticed over the past couple of weeks that my turtle Chuck a red eared slider who is about 1 year and 8 months old has been sleeping during the day as well as at night. Im not sure what the problem is as I have a heater, two filters and a water pump for good water circulation and filtration as well as keeping the water a consistent temperature which is usually around 80 degrees. He basks now and then for at least an hour or more per day and his appetite hasn't changed he still eats pretty good. He poops regularly and his shell and skin seem to all be in good condition. I inspect him every time I take him out of the tank since I feed him in a separate tank. Everything seems to be normal with him, I am just worried because it seems to me like he sleeps more than he should. Any one have any ideas or pointers or possible solutions to this issue?
Also I regularly check the chemical levels in the tank to make sure they are safe as well as do water changes when necessary
Father of Chuck, the Red eared slider
TurtleDude31

Post Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:25 am   Re: Need help/ guidance

When was the last time you did a full water change and filter cleaning? I'd try that first and see if it perks him up.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:32 pm   Re: Need help/ guidance

I do regular water changes and change out the filter media everytime I do it. I do a complete water change about every two weeks cause I have two filters and a water pump in his tank to give him good filtration and keep his water fresh. I regularly check the chemical levels and they all check out as normal. I think It may just be brumation or the basking platform may not hold in the heat like it should. Im still worried about him a lot but his appetite is still really good, he still poops normal and doesn't seem to have anything visibly wrong with him. Water temperature is also good, its at around 80-82 degrees
I just hope im not overlooking anything
TurtleDude31

Post Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:59 pm   Re: Need help/ guidance

If you have him out of the tank, does he keep his eyes closed too?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:12 pm   Re: Need help/ guidance

No. He keeps his eyes open and is looking around and is curious of his surroundings. He seems to be completely healthy and otherwise no issue besides sleeping and I haven't noticed him basking lately so Im wondering if it is just an issue with the platform that he doesnt like? Hard to tell, I got him a new platform over a month ago and the first couple weeks he loved it and would bask normally and then randomly he stopped and I dont see him use it anymore. Im using a Thrive Semi- aquatic turtle above tank basking loft.
Again, He eats normal, Poops normal, swims normal. Just sleeping more, and not really basking
TurtleDude31

Post Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:13 pm   Re: Need help/ guidance

Im just really confused as to why his behavior is like this. Chemical levels are fine and all too
TurtleDude31

Post Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:25 pm   Re: Need help/ guidance

After reading numerous product reviews of this it seems that the ramp is too steep and too slippery for some turtles to get up. Everything Ive read is that once its modified and the ramp section is fixed so the turtle can easily climb up then they have seen no issues with the product and the turtles seem to love it. I will be making modifications to the ramp in the next couple days to ensure Chuck can make it up there safely and easily and hopefully that solves the issues.
TurtleDude31

Post Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:24 pm   Re: Need help/ guidance

What do you normally feed him? Can you post a picture of the setup? You mentioned that he did use the new basking spot in the beginning, so I wouldn't be sure that its the problem now.
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion