General Care Discussion :: Using Cockroach Insecticides & Turtle Safety

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 3:02 pm   Using Cockroach Insecticides & Turtle Safety

Can anyone tell me what they know about insecticides usage indoors where a turtle may walk around?
Specifically I'm, interested in two products:

-Invict Gold (active ingredient = Imidacloprid) (gel in a string applied in dots; a form of poison bait)
https://rockwelllabs.com/invict-gold/

-Tekko Pro (active ingredient = Novaluron and Pyriproxyfen) (liquid spray; from what I understand disrupts lifecycle of baby roaches preventing them from developing into adults)
https://www.controlsolutionsinc.com/csi ... /tekko-pro

These two used in conjunction seem to be the recommended one-two punch to eliminate roaches.

Another gel that seems to have its fans is:
-Combat Max Gel (active ingredient = Fipronil)
https://www.combatbugs.com/products/com ... g-gel.html

Can anyone comment on this?

---------------

I reside in a NYC apartment building and although I've been fortunate not to undergo unbearable and profound roach infestation while having my turtle, once a year or so I do see cockroach activity in my place and it's always unnerving since I keep my home scrupulously clean ... so they must be coming from other units or general building infestation. Even just seeing a few roaches and a some new babies is alarming because in my experience by the time they become visible it's evidence of them already having invaded the place and freely reproducing. So I want to address this.

Typically I do not allow the building exterminator in because I'd read at one time that the spray they ordinarily use is hazardous to aquatic type animals ... I do let my turtle walk around on the floor in the kitchen when I do water changes in his tank and I don't want to poison him.

When absolutely necessary to use an exterminator, what I've done previously is I allow him to apply the gel (I assume it's Indict Gold or similar), but I put down little pieces of masking tape (inside food cabinets, under sink cabinet, wall behind stove and fridge, etc.) and have him apply the gel dots onto the masking tape so if need be I can remove them later.
Last edited by Lovegasoline on Thu Aug 24, 2023 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lovegasoline

Post Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:18 pm   Re: Using Cockroach Insecticides & Turtle Safety

It's best to not let the turtle walk in those areas until those areas are thoroughly cleaned. How often do you do water changes?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 2:43 am   Re: Using Cockroach Insecticides & Turtle Safety

Now 1.5 - 2 weeks typically replace about 1/2 the tank water volume.
Sometimes a little longer but with a bigger water change.

I'll remove Mr. T from the tank and put him on the floor where he'll wall around, often he'll go to a nearby bathroom and hide in a shadowed corner where it's quiet and calm. I'll then take him to my bedroom and let him crawl around on my bed , on me, climb on pillow, etc. and he gets very active (if I put him on the floor in the bedroom he'll often go far under my bed where he's unreachable).
Lovegasoline

Post Posted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 11:03 pm   Re: Using Cockroach Insecticides & Turtle Safety

How long until you put him back? If I have to take them out of the tank and don't have anywhere to put them, then a tub with warm water usually does the trick.
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion