Habitat - Indoor :: Anyone else run into this small problem ?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:27 am   Anyone else run into this small problem ?

Didnt really hit me til today but with winter approaching and us already having a bit of snow. Anyway, do any of you guys find yourselves needing to adjust the height of your heat / basking light ?

I only asked because I just took a reading a few minuts ago and the basking temp read 83 and i usually keep it or try to keep it at around 90. My water temps ok, that maintains a constant 80 degrees give or take a few points.

From what I've been reading your wana generally wana keep the basking temp about 10 degrees warmer than the water so my temps seem to be ok when they dont take a plunge like the basking temp did. Long story short I lowered the lamp some and it's already starting to warm back up so I'll just need to keep a better eye on it to make sure it dont take a dive like that again not that it should with me lowering the light to put it closer to the dock.
Pets
1 x Male Rio Grande RES named Niko (knee-co) - Growth Chart - DOB 7/03/2008 (Owned since 9/24/2008)
3 x Cats (Orange Tabi, Black n Gray Tabi & Black Long Hair)
Feeding Lists
Niko: → Feed Me ← (Updated 6/10/11)
Cats: Cat Food ;-p
User avatar
MoreBloodWine
 
Posts: 999
Joined: Sep 3, 2008
Location: Meadville, Pa
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:48 am   

Depending on how warm you keep your house during the cooler months will affect how close you need to keep the basking light.
What I usually do in winter is cover the half of the tank w/o the basking ramp and lights to help keep additional heat in.
2 RES: Leo (f) and Ezra (m)
1 Russian Tortoise: Godzilla (m)
User avatar
megcornell
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 3206
Joined: Apr 30, 2006
Location: New York, NY

Post Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:08 pm   

I use a higher wattage bulb for winter because my husband and myself don't use our heater.

We also have to turn the water heaters on.
~Christi
1.0 RES: Mikey R.I.P.
1.0 Het for Albino Red Tail Boa: Kaa ~adopted out
0.0.1 Northern BTS: Petri ~now a well-loved class pet

1.0 Am. Staff Mix: Brutus R.I.P.
1.0 German Shepherd: Pax

1.0 Husband: Will
0.1 Daughter: Lily
User avatar
untsmurf
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4291
Joined: Jul 28, 2007
Location: Carrollton, TX
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:24 pm   

I turned mine up too cause my house is colder in the winter.
<3 Olive & Shrimp
JAS722
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Sep 22, 2008
Location: Vernon, CT

Post Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:25 pm   

Well its not that our house is cold because infact it's kept rather hot / warm in the winder. I just have a thing in the window that I cant remove and it's kinda drafty around the edges so...
Pets
1 x Male Rio Grande RES named Niko (knee-co) - Growth Chart - DOB 7/03/2008 (Owned since 9/24/2008)
3 x Cats (Orange Tabi, Black n Gray Tabi & Black Long Hair)
Feeding Lists
Niko: → Feed Me ← (Updated 6/10/11)
Cats: Cat Food ;-p
User avatar
MoreBloodWine
 
Posts: 999
Joined: Sep 3, 2008
Location: Meadville, Pa
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:05 pm   

The really bad part is that we have to be out of our house by the 3rd no later than the 4th. So right now were trying to load all the stuff onto the truck. The last few things to go will be my two geckos the dresser their tanks on and then Niko's tank as well as the dresser he'shes on. Furniture aside the thing I'm freaked out about is how I'm going to safely move Niko when the time comes to move him/her. I mean I can use the "tub" he/she came in and pack it with a bit of paper towl and the put the tub in a small box with some real towels to keep the heat in until I get the tank and stuff setup in its new loc. I've moved fish tanks before and that seems alot easier than moving a turtle tank. Even though theyre practically the same (water / livestock).

Long story short I'm just afraid somethings gonna go wrong with the move.
Pets
1 x Male Rio Grande RES named Niko (knee-co) - Growth Chart - DOB 7/03/2008 (Owned since 9/24/2008)
3 x Cats (Orange Tabi, Black n Gray Tabi & Black Long Hair)
Feeding Lists
Niko: → Feed Me ← (Updated 6/10/11)
Cats: Cat Food ;-p
User avatar
MoreBloodWine
 
Posts: 999
Joined: Sep 3, 2008
Location: Meadville, Pa
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:59 pm   

There's a bunch of info on moving in the main section. Obviously, you'll want to put the turtle in the cabin with you. Besides that, just make sure the tank is strapped in and is surrounded by blankets/towels to prevent scratching or cracking.

My movers used a van to move all my tanks. You can rent one from u-haul for like twenty bucks or something.
~Christi
1.0 RES: Mikey R.I.P.
1.0 Het for Albino Red Tail Boa: Kaa ~adopted out
0.0.1 Northern BTS: Petri ~now a well-loved class pet

1.0 Am. Staff Mix: Brutus R.I.P.
1.0 German Shepherd: Pax

1.0 Husband: Will
0.1 Daughter: Lily
User avatar
untsmurf
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4291
Joined: Jul 28, 2007
Location: Carrollton, TX
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:00 am   

Tanks fairly small, I planed on gettign a turtle but wanted to wait but my friend wanted to surprise me so I ended up with Niko and at the time I could only afford a 10g tank. It should be fine for I'd say the next 6-8 months before I really need to stress upgrading which I plan on doing. Anyway the tanks and stuff I'm not worried about moving, its just Niko I'm worried about moving. Took a good while for him/her to settle in nicely with me. He/she is still kind of skittish but I'm able to get much closer to him/her before that infamous dive off the dock happens.
Pets
1 x Male Rio Grande RES named Niko (knee-co) - Growth Chart - DOB 7/03/2008 (Owned since 9/24/2008)
3 x Cats (Orange Tabi, Black n Gray Tabi & Black Long Hair)
Feeding Lists
Niko: → Feed Me ← (Updated 6/10/11)
Cats: Cat Food ;-p
User avatar
MoreBloodWine
 
Posts: 999
Joined: Sep 3, 2008
Location: Meadville, Pa
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:57 am   

How long is the drive for your move?
~Christi
1.0 RES: Mikey R.I.P.
1.0 Het for Albino Red Tail Boa: Kaa ~adopted out
0.0.1 Northern BTS: Petri ~now a well-loved class pet

1.0 Am. Staff Mix: Brutus R.I.P.
1.0 German Shepherd: Pax

1.0 Husband: Will
0.1 Daughter: Lily
User avatar
untsmurf
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4291
Joined: Jul 28, 2007
Location: Carrollton, TX
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:05 pm   

Not more than a few miles 5 or so.
Pets
1 x Male Rio Grande RES named Niko (knee-co) - Growth Chart - DOB 7/03/2008 (Owned since 9/24/2008)
3 x Cats (Orange Tabi, Black n Gray Tabi & Black Long Hair)
Feeding Lists
Niko: → Feed Me ← (Updated 6/10/11)
Cats: Cat Food ;-p
User avatar
MoreBloodWine
 
Posts: 999
Joined: Sep 3, 2008
Location: Meadville, Pa
Gender: Male


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 52 guests