Habitat - Indoor :: Tap water Nitrate levels.

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:54 pm   Tap water Nitrate levels.

Okay, so I was testing around with my nitrate kit, tested the tank, it was about 40PPM, so I did a water change. But as I was doing this, I figured lets check the tap water. So I did, and it comes out that my tap water has about 5-10PPM nitrate in it already. Shouldn't it be 0PPM? Is this normal for tap water?

I'm not concerned about this, just wondering if its normal or not?

What have been your results with testing tap water? if any..

Thanks.
http://chrisredearslider.blogspot.com/
1.0 Red Ear Slider-Squirt
37g-Dwarf Gourami/Peaceful Comm. tank
1.0 Axolotl-Axle
0.1 Dog-Leia
User avatar
Chrisbarnett
 
Posts: 2399
Joined: Dec 26, 2007
Location: Cali

Post Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:17 pm   

Is there a way to lower nitrates other than changing water? IE certain aquatic plants?
I build acrylic ATBAs.
Rubicon
 
Posts: 664
Joined: Jul 7, 2008
Location: Fort Bragg, NC.
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:20 pm   

Yes, aquatic plants do well, as does beneficial bacteria in your filter.

I don't have a way to keep aquatic plants in my tank though, squirt will eat them, and I don't have a sump to put them in.
http://chrisredearslider.blogspot.com/
1.0 Red Ear Slider-Squirt
37g-Dwarf Gourami/Peaceful Comm. tank
1.0 Axolotl-Axle
0.1 Dog-Leia
User avatar
Chrisbarnett
 
Posts: 2399
Joined: Dec 26, 2007
Location: Cali

Post Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:13 pm   

Chris: If your tank is large enough, you might do like DavidY and make a 'cage' for your plants using eggcrate.
-robind
robind
 
Posts: 289
Joined: Oct 26, 2008
Location: santa cruz

Post Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:58 pm   

It's a cheap idea, but couldn't you put them in one of those gerbil balls?
~Christi
1.0 RES: Mikey R.I.P.
1.0 Het for Albino Red Tail Boa: Kaa ~adopted out
0.0.1 Northern BTS: Petri ~now a well-loved class pet

1.0 Am. Staff Mix: Brutus R.I.P.
1.0 German Shepherd: Pax

1.0 Husband: Will
0.1 Daughter: Lily
User avatar
untsmurf
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4291
Joined: Jul 28, 2007
Location: Carrollton, TX
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:28 pm   

robind wrote:Chris: If your tank is large enough, you might do like DavidY and make a 'cage' for your plants using eggcrate.


This idea crossed my mind earlier. I didn't know it had already been done. What was this called so I can search for it? I'm interested in making this, if for no other reason that fun.

About the hamster ball, I'd do it if they didn't look so crappy.
http://chrisredearslider.blogspot.com/
1.0 Red Ear Slider-Squirt
37g-Dwarf Gourami/Peaceful Comm. tank
1.0 Axolotl-Axle
0.1 Dog-Leia
User avatar
Chrisbarnett
 
Posts: 2399
Joined: Dec 26, 2007
Location: Cali

Post Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:43 pm   

Re the nitrate level in tap water---wouldn't it depend on what, if anything, is in the water?
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 12993
Joined: Apr 21, 2005
Location: CT, USA

Post Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:07 am   

Well just for update purposes, I read a thread on this same subject on a fish keeping forum. Most of the people said that it was normal for this... but 10PPM is a bit high. They advised to call the city water to lower the levels... But we live on a private road with a well sytem supplying the upper half of the road(the half we live on) and the houses on it. So I will just deal with the nitrate levels, it's not a big deal.
http://chrisredearslider.blogspot.com/
1.0 Red Ear Slider-Squirt
37g-Dwarf Gourami/Peaceful Comm. tank
1.0 Axolotl-Axle
0.1 Dog-Leia
User avatar
Chrisbarnett
 
Posts: 2399
Joined: Dec 26, 2007
Location: Cali

Post Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:10 pm   

Are you going to take another reading later, perhaps it was just an irregularity.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:12 pm   

Yeah. I'll take one later tonight.
http://chrisredearslider.blogspot.com/
1.0 Red Ear Slider-Squirt
37g-Dwarf Gourami/Peaceful Comm. tank
1.0 Axolotl-Axle
0.1 Dog-Leia
User avatar
Chrisbarnett
 
Posts: 2399
Joined: Dec 26, 2007
Location: Cali


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 87 guests