Habitat - Indoor :: how often should you replace basking and UVB bulbs?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:31 am   how often should you replace basking and UVB bulbs?

I went to That Fish Place/That Pet Place earlier this week and asked someone in the reptile room what they thought about how often you should replace the basking bulb and the UVB bulb. She said you replace the basking bulb when it burns out, and the UVB bulb every 6 months. I got the Exo Terra 5.0 UVB 15W bulb, and it says on the box to replace it every year, she is saying 6 months. For the basking bulb, I have the Zoo Med Basking Spot Lamp and it doesn't say anything about when to replace it.

Any thoughts on this?

Thank you!
2Daughtry8
 
Posts: 47
Joined: Sep 15, 2008

Post Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:24 am   

Yeah basking bulbs are just whenever they burn out. Also, you dont have to buy those fancy bulbs from zoo med for basking light. You can use just regular incandescent household lighting.

The UVB should be replaced every 6 months. I have heard of letting them go to 8 months, but I've never gone by that.

A pet shop gave someone good advice! That's progress. :lol:
http://chrisredearslider.blogspot.com/
1.0 Red Ear Slider-Squirt
37g-Dwarf Gourami/Peaceful Comm. tank
1.0 Axolotl-Axle
0.1 Dog-Leia
User avatar
Chrisbarnett
 
Posts: 2399
Joined: Dec 26, 2007
Location: Cali

Post Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:50 am   

kudos to the pet shop worker

filament life for the basking light, 6 months for the UVB

i'm not sure about Mercury Vapor bulbs???? do they go by filament life as well, or 6 months standard?
-Chris
User avatar
papoopeepoo
 
Posts: 911
Joined: Dec 1, 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:03 am   

The MVB's are good for a year, I think.
http://chrisredearslider.blogspot.com/
1.0 Red Ear Slider-Squirt
37g-Dwarf Gourami/Peaceful Comm. tank
1.0 Axolotl-Axle
0.1 Dog-Leia
User avatar
Chrisbarnett
 
Posts: 2399
Joined: Dec 26, 2007
Location: Cali

Post Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:14 am   

good stuff, thanks Chris
-Chris
User avatar
papoopeepoo
 
Posts: 911
Joined: Dec 1, 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:34 am   

A good MVB should last for a year (not the Solar-Glo or cheaper versions) and I'd personally replace the Exo Terra's CFs sooner than 6 months, provided they don't burn out.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:53 am   

Ok, I just wasn't sure on the UVB because of what the box said.

What wattage for the household bulb?
2Daughtry8
 
Posts: 47
Joined: Sep 15, 2008

Post Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:45 pm   

anything about 100 watts or below is fine with the incandescent (household) bulb, 75 watts is optimal. you want to aim for around 90 degrees on your basking "rock."


http://www.redearslider.com/index_lighting_basking.html
-Chris
User avatar
papoopeepoo
 
Posts: 911
Joined: Dec 1, 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:08 pm   

Well, I'm actually in the process of making an ATBA, so I guess just the one light I have now will be sufficient. I noticed that some people have more than one light shining in theirs...
2Daughtry8
 
Posts: 47
Joined: Sep 15, 2008

Post Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:33 pm   

you will need the two lights for your basking area. the only way you will be able to use just one bulb is with an MVB and depending on the size of the tank, you may not be able to use one so you will have to have 2 lights shining on your basking area. the incandescent and the UVB
Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall. Torque is how far you move a wall

1.0.0 Red Ear Slider-Cujo
0.2.0 part Boston Terrier part Pugs-Hershey and Lilly
Daniel3507
 
Posts: 2152
Joined: Aug 18, 2007
Location: Oklahoma

Post Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:43 pm   

The staff person was pretty much on target. I don't use Repti-Glo's, but Reptisuns are usually replaced every 6-8 months. If the MVB is either of the two better ones, I use them until they burn out.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 12993
Joined: Apr 21, 2005
Location: CT, USA

Post Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:43 pm   

I already have the Exo Terra UVB I described above in a hood on the one side of the tank, and just the basking light on the other side of the tank shining down on the rock. I need another UVB over the ATBA along with the incandescent?
2Daughtry8
 
Posts: 47
Joined: Sep 15, 2008

Post Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:04 pm   

you dont need the UVB over the water. the water blocks out all the UVB so it is useless there. you need the UVB and the incandescent over the ATBA
Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall. Torque is how far you move a wall

1.0.0 Red Ear Slider-Cujo
0.2.0 part Boston Terrier part Pugs-Hershey and Lilly
Daniel3507
 
Posts: 2152
Joined: Aug 18, 2007
Location: Oklahoma

Post Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:38 am   

ok, so what kind of bulb should I put in the hood, or should I just put egg crate on that side as a lid? It will be dark in that side of the tank then without a light.
2Daughtry8
 
Posts: 47
Joined: Sep 15, 2008

Post Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:12 pm   

for the part over the water if you are wanting to use the hood you can just use any kind of light. personally though i like to use just egg crate over both sides to provide better air circulation.
Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall. Torque is how far you move a wall

1.0.0 Red Ear Slider-Cujo
0.2.0 part Boston Terrier part Pugs-Hershey and Lilly
Daniel3507
 
Posts: 2152
Joined: Aug 18, 2007
Location: Oklahoma


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 85 guests