Habitat - Indoor :: How to clean new tank before use?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:30 pm   How to clean new tank before use?

I just purchased a new tank and I think it had been sitting in the store for a while. There was a dead fly inside the tank and a little dust. I rinsed the tank out with water. Is this enough or should I be cleaning it with something else? I'm not sure what the turtle safe cleaning methods are.
1 RES, Tilly (9 months old)
1 House Rabbit, Peaches (6 years old)
ashipyor
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Jan 3, 2009
Location: Midwest

Post Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:16 pm   

I used a 50:50 vinegar: warm water solution to wipe down the inside of my new tanks, then rinsed them best I could with water (until I couldn't smell the vinegar any more).
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
User avatar
BullDog
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3889
Joined: Jun 21, 2006
Location: BC, Canada

Post Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:41 pm   

I used a 10% bleach solution, just a little bit, and a towel to wipe down the inside. Then I let it air dry for at least 24 hours, checking the corners to make sure they were dry.
JAX
- - -
Baby Boy - January 9th, 2011! (3 months old)
1 RES - 7" long - Umi (3.5 years old)
1 black lab/hound mix - Josie (1.5 year old)
2 cats - Mysti and Molly (6.5 years old)
User avatar
TheComputerGremlin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3732
Joined: Jan 12, 2008
Location: Washington, DC

Post Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:29 pm   

Just go with a vinegar/water mix.

When I got my tank it was used off craigslist for fish keeping and all I did was rinse well with warm water and a sponge.
http://chrisredearslider.blogspot.com/
1.0 Red Ear Slider-Squirt
37g-Dwarf Gourami/Peaceful Comm. tank
1.0 Axolotl-Axle
0.1 Dog-Leia
User avatar
Chrisbarnett
 
Posts: 2399
Joined: Dec 26, 2007
Location: Cali


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 138 guests