Habitat - Indoor :: A few questions from a keener, heh

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:05 am   A few questions from a keener, heh

I'm going to apply to adopt a RES from Turtle Homes in the near future, and as such I'm trying to get a head start in making the best possible habitat that I can. I've read almost every topic on the board (too much time, I know haha) and had a couple of questions I wanted to get people's opinions on.

1. Is a rubbermaid habitat feasible, or is it best to have a traditional tank environment? I'm guessing that if they accept me as an adopting parent (I really hope I am), the RES will be at least 4", so would a rubbermaid container be possible as a home?

2. I've read the sand FAQ, and I'm only curious to know if you folks think that it would be enjoyed by the turt or if they'd really mind a bare bottom of the container? I'm not opposed to having sand, but if the turtle wouldn't care either way I think it'd be easier without.

Thanks for any help, I'm just trying to learn all I can. :D
RyanJ
 
Posts: 68
Joined: Jan 24, 2009
Location: Calgary, Alberta Canada

Post Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:19 am   

Rubbermaid container or stock tank? A container will eventually be outgrown, but a stock tank should last forever.

I think a bare tank bottom is fine, it's really up to the owner. It's not necessary to have this type of substrate, but it can really enhance the habitat.

Good luck!
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:35 am   

I was thinking the tank would be better, and since me and my dad used to make them it shouldn't be too hard to fix up a good one. Plus I have 10 and 32 gallon tanks I could use for short stays, while I'm cleaning the main tank maybe. A question stemming from that- if I get a 100 gallon tank and receive a male or smaller turtle, is that tank still alright for them? It wouldn't be too much for them, I'm guessing?

Thanks, I really hope they accept my application. I'm doing all I can to show them I can provide a quality home.
RyanJ
 
Posts: 68
Joined: Jan 24, 2009
Location: Calgary, Alberta Canada

Post Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:41 am   

Are you asking if the tank will be too big? If so, then no, it wont be too big. There is no such thing as too big of a tank for red ear sliders.
Cap-hits, not Cafits.
User avatar
Caphits
 
Posts: 952
Joined: Jan 16, 2009
Location: Wyoming

Post Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:50 am   

Yup, that was what I was wondering- I figured it was alright, but wanted to be sure. As long as they have places to rest if they get tired from swimming, it should be fine I'd guess. Thanks for confirming, I appreciate it.
RyanJ
 
Posts: 68
Joined: Jan 24, 2009
Location: Calgary, Alberta Canada

Post Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:28 am   

If they are not used to deepish water, make sure that you slowly increase the depth. Like 1-2 inches a day.
Cap-hits, not Cafits.
User avatar
Caphits
 
Posts: 952
Joined: Jan 16, 2009
Location: Wyoming

Post Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:51 am   

Thanks, I'll remember to. It's probably better to start off lower, and slowly raise the water level than to put them in a full tank, right? I thought of another few questions, sorry :p

1. I'm sure it doesn't matter, but is it better to feed a turtle in the morning or later in the day?

2. Does anyone have any experience with Turtle Homes adoption? I didn't want to make a seperate topic.

Thanks for all the help!
RyanJ
 
Posts: 68
Joined: Jan 24, 2009
Location: Calgary, Alberta Canada

Post Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:53 am   

1. Ive never thought of that...
Cap-hits, not Cafits.
User avatar
Caphits
 
Posts: 952
Joined: Jan 16, 2009
Location: Wyoming

Post Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:28 am   

I am wanting to get a 50 gallon aquarium for my two RES. A 50 gallon is only 2 inches shorter than a 55 gallon and 18 inches wide (compared to 13 1/2in.). I just found a 50 gallon (you have to order them) for only $109 which isn't too bad. I have also seen one up close and I am definitely impressed - at least for my situation. Hope it goes well!
*Happy* *Happy* *Joy* Joy*

2 Red eared sliders (Rocki and Trixi)
2 Russian tortoise (Hermi and Lela)
2 Goldfish (adopted by turtles)

1 Cat (Miss Kitty)
1 Loach
1 Baby Molly
User avatar
rockyntrixi
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Aug 13, 2008

Post Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:46 pm   

Doesn't Turtle Homes want to see pictures of the habitat you're planning on putting the turtle in before they adopt out?
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 12993
Joined: Apr 21, 2005
Location: CT, USA

Post Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:21 pm   

Yup, they do. I'm still getting everything ready, I want to have everything but the turtle ready when I send the application. I'm trying to know as much as I can before I apply.
RyanJ
 
Posts: 68
Joined: Jan 24, 2009
Location: Calgary, Alberta Canada


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 72 guests