Habitat - Indoor :: T-Rex MVB vs Zoo Med PowerSun MVB

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

which MVB?

T-Rex 100 watt flood MVB
7
58%
ZooMed PowerSun MVB
5
42%
 
Total votes : 12

Post Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:04 pm   

Hi guys,

I know this is an old thread but I was looking at the MegaRay bulbs and was wondering if anyone is going with the EB (External Ballasted) ones?

From my understanding...those do no produce heat because the filament is not in the bulb itself. Am I right? The SB (Self Ballasted) are $40+ but the EB ones are suppose to last twice as long.

I found the powersun mercury bulb at petco running for $79...jees.
PeaceOut
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Oct 25, 2006
Location: So. Cali

Post Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:12 pm   

I use an Externally Ballasted Mega-Ray....it's amazing, my turtle loves it. She loved the self-ballasted one too. Her colors are amazing and she's super active.
-Chris
User avatar
papoopeepoo
 
Posts: 911
Joined: Dec 1, 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:20 am   

papoopeepoo wrote:I use an Externally Ballasted Mega-Ray....it's amazing, my turtle loves it. She loved the self-ballasted one too. Her colors are amazing and she's super active.



Cool. I'm leaning more towards the EB route.
So do you have a separate bulb for the heat? Or does it actually produce enough heat for your tank?
PeaceOut
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Oct 25, 2006
Location: So. Cali

Post Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:20 am   

[url][/url]
Last edited by PeaceOut on Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
PeaceOut
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Oct 25, 2006
Location: So. Cali

Post Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:20 pm   

I had a Powersun once and it didn't last long at all. I only use a T-Rex MVB 100w now and it lasts much longer and Splat loves it too.
1 RES - Splat, born 10/06, now queen of the laundry room
SliderGirl
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Nov 25, 2006
Location: Cherry Hill, NJ

Post Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:23 pm   

PeaceOut wrote:
papoopeepoo wrote:I use an Externally Ballasted Mega-Ray....it's amazing, my turtle loves it. She loved the self-ballasted one too. Her colors are amazing and she's super active.



Cool. I'm leaning more towards the EB route.
So do you have a separate bulb for the heat? Or does it actually produce enough heat for your tank?



I use a ceramic heat projector for heat. The heat coming from the bulb is very small. If you're room is average temperature you'll need a supplementary heat source.
-Chris
User avatar
papoopeepoo
 
Posts: 911
Joined: Dec 1, 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:46 pm   

I use a 100watt Zoomed PowerSun and it works great for my tank and I have had it for almost a yr now no problems at all my turt bask all the time she isn't shy at all. I love this bulb. I also have a back up but haven't had to use it yet.
1 Female RES 6 in.
4'x2-1/2'x2' Tank
1 Mangrove Monitor 3.5 ft
10'x10'x6' Enclosure
User avatar
akaghettoraver
 
Posts: 179
Joined: Sep 28, 2006
Location: Honduras

Previous

Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 108 guests