Habitat - Indoor :: Water, i don't get it! help!

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:43 pm   Water, i don't get it! help!

I've had my turtle for about five months or six months, and since i've had it i do FULL water changes and tank cleaning once a week. It takes me a while but i thought it was worth it. HOWEVER, i've been skimming around the forum and i'm reading about water cycling? I guess i'm doing it all wrong! How often should i do a partial water change? So while i do partial water changes, does the icky stuff on the bottom of the tank stay there? help! I'm so lost on this issue :(
Kval87
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Oct 29, 2009

Post Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:15 pm   

Paritial water changes every 2 to 4 weeks. Get a aquarium vaccum and clean the icky stuff off the bottom. If you have a good filter there shouldn't be much.
2 - RES
-Slider 5.5" male
-Luckie 5"
1- eastern painted turtle - Anubis 5.25"
1- southern painted turtle - AmunRa 2.5"
1- northern dbt - Tiki 4"
1- concentric northern dbt - Isis 5"
2 - DSH cats Spike and Grim
tammi
 
Posts: 436
Joined: Jun 7, 2009

Post Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:32 pm   reply to tammi

thanks for your reply tammi. How often should i do a FULL water change? And if i do partial water changes, will i still see some cloudiness?
Kval87
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Oct 29, 2009

Post Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:33 pm   

i also don't get the water cycling, does someone know a website where i thoroughly explains it?
Kval87
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Oct 29, 2009

Post Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:34 pm   

I only do a full change about once a year. With the partial changes you shouldn't see clouidiness once it has cycled.
2 - RES
-Slider 5.5" male
-Luckie 5"
1- eastern painted turtle - Anubis 5.25"
1- southern painted turtle - AmunRa 2.5"
1- northern dbt - Tiki 4"
1- concentric northern dbt - Isis 5"
2 - DSH cats Spike and Grim
tammi
 
Posts: 436
Joined: Jun 7, 2009

Post Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:36 pm   

You can find the cycling info on any fish site. Its the nitrogen cycle on a tank. Google it.
2 - RES
-Slider 5.5" male
-Luckie 5"
1- eastern painted turtle - Anubis 5.25"
1- southern painted turtle - AmunRa 2.5"
1- northern dbt - Tiki 4"
1- concentric northern dbt - Isis 5"
2 - DSH cats Spike and Grim
tammi
 
Posts: 436
Joined: Jun 7, 2009

Post Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:38 pm   

2 - RES
-Slider 5.5" male
-Luckie 5"
1- eastern painted turtle - Anubis 5.25"
1- southern painted turtle - AmunRa 2.5"
1- northern dbt - Tiki 4"
1- concentric northern dbt - Isis 5"
2 - DSH cats Spike and Grim
tammi
 
Posts: 436
Joined: Jun 7, 2009

Post Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:34 pm   

thanks tammi!
Kval87
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Oct 29, 2009

Post Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:19 pm   

When I do partial water changes I'll syphon whatever is on the floor of the tank too. I've never seen any cloudiness, and have never done a full water change. I've had the tank for about 3months.
1 RES - Tomi (75 gal)
1 Leopard Gecko - Leia (20 gal)
2 Fancy goldfish, 1 bn pleco (40 gal breeder)
https://www.facebook.com/varboleda6
User avatar
vear
 
Posts: 769
Joined: Sep 2, 2009
Location: New York
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:17 pm   

What size is your tank? A small tank with a big turtle would probably need cleaning that often, but a bigger tank with a proper filter should need less frequent cleanings.

I've got a 75 and 90 gallon tanks, and I do a partial water change (usually 20-50%) once every 2-3 weeks. I very rarely do a full water change, once or twice a year at most.
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
User avatar
BullDog
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3889
Joined: Jun 21, 2006
Location: BC, Canada


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 75 guests