Habitat - Indoor :: My set-up

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:21 pm   My set-up

I'm pretty new to turtles, but when my girlfriend surprised me with a RES for my birthday in April, that kinda changed. Two days and the lion's share of my federal rebate check later, I think I have a pretty good set-up.

Tank:
20gL w/ 'wide' wire mesh hood

Lights:
ESU Reptile Combo Light setup
Kritterz heat bulb (I know it's not the best, but it does the job)
ReptiGlo 2.0 UVA/UVB bulb

Filter:
Zoo Med 501 (also not the best, but I'll be upgrading soon)

Substrate:
Medium-sized river rocks

Basking Area:
Medium 'Turtle dock'
A very large, protruding rock with a cave area under the water for hiding.

Heater:
Tetrafauna Aquatic Reptile Heater

Food:
Reptomin Baby Turtle food
Amazon Swords
the occasional Rosy Red (when 'he' manages to catch one, also for entertainment)

In addition, I have two digital probes that moniter water temp and air temp. I raise the Amazon swords and the rosy reds in a seperate tank. I feed 'him' two pellets a day as well as an Amazon sword leaf every other day.

Air temperature is, on average, 82F and 86F where the basking area is during the day and about 74F during the night. Water temp is, on average, 75F.

This is a pretty good set-up, no?
RES - Sparta - 6"
User avatar
Stalfos
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Aug 19, 2007
Location: Hartford, CT

Post Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:22 pm   

do u have a pic?
Bravery, Scardy-Cat, and Spunky.
rachel16
 
Posts: 345
Joined: Aug 22, 2007
Location: Pennsylvania

Post Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:25 pm   

I do not! I suppose I'll post when I get out of work.
RES - Sparta - 6"
User avatar
Stalfos
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Aug 19, 2007
Location: Hartford, CT

Post Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:31 pm   

ok that would help us visualize i bet its nice looking but a pic would b gre@t!
Bravery, Scardy-Cat, and Spunky.
rachel16
 
Posts: 345
Joined: Aug 22, 2007
Location: Pennsylvania

Post Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:56 pm   

How big is he? Unless he's super tiny, which he shouldn't really be after 5 months, that doesn't sound like enough food.
jes
powerofvoodoo
 
Posts: 270
Joined: Sep 7, 2007

Post Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:24 pm   

His shell is a little more than an inch and a half.
RES - Sparta - 6"
User avatar
Stalfos
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Aug 19, 2007
Location: Hartford, CT

Post Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:21 pm   

You should be giving him enough to fill his head if it were hollow (excluding the neck). It's probably more than 2 pellets, but it does depend on the size of the pellets. You can also give him more greens (with more variety)
jes
powerofvoodoo
 
Posts: 270
Joined: Sep 7, 2007

Post Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:10 am   

I think the water is supposed to be around 78 for babies. How old is it?
1 Pekin Duck- Bumby
1 Adult Midland Painted Turtle- Nyx
2 Hatchling Midland Painted Turtles- Gimli, Marvolo
1 Normal Gray Cockatiel- Egore
User avatar
Bumby's Mom
 
Posts: 751
Joined: Jul 20, 2007

Post Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:52 am   

Your setup will be sufficeient now, but keep in mind that turtles grow big and you are going to have to upgrade in the future

I would say 4-5 pellets, since my little guy is about that same size, But do check and compare the pellets to his head

Raise the water temp to 78-82 degrees

Is your turtle basking?
Tito-- Baby RES

~~Safdar~~
User avatar
Safdar
 
Posts: 1439
Joined: Jul 29, 2007
Location: Houston, TX

Post Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:11 am   

Sounds good so far! There a few upgrades coming soon :)

I would be extra careful with the turtle dock, a few have had hatchlings drown after getting wedged into the bars.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:33 am   

On the turtle dock, here are some tips to make it safer for little turtles. First, turn the plastic frame upside down so the horizontal bar is at the top instead of at the bottom. Second, remove the suckers from the part of the frame that's below the water. You don't need them - the suckers at the top will hold well enough. If you do these two things a turtle will find it easier to get loose if he gets stuck.
SpotsMama
User avatar
SpotsMama
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 8079
Joined: Jun 7, 2006
Location: Mesquite Texas

Post Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:02 am   

Also, you said you had a mesh top, if it's the mesh wiring I'm thinking of, then it filters out a lot of the UV rays. Either gut a hole in it or see if you can find a new top that allows the UV through (not glass).
~Christi
1.0 RES: Mikey R.I.P.
1.0 Het for Albino Red Tail Boa: Kaa ~adopted out
0.0.1 Northern BTS: Petri ~now a well-loved class pet

1.0 Am. Staff Mix: Brutus R.I.P.
1.0 German Shepherd: Pax

1.0 Husband: Will
0.1 Daughter: Lily
User avatar
untsmurf
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4291
Joined: Jul 28, 2007
Location: Carrollton, TX
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:09 am   

Sounds nice. :) The Reptiglo 2.0 bulb doesn't provide enough UVB though which is essential for proper shell and bone growth. I'd recommend the 5.0 bulb.

Welcome to the forum! :D
User avatar
DavidY
 
Posts: 4391
Joined: Mar 9, 2007
Location: New Hampshire
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:39 pm   

It is a 5.0 bulb. I couldn't remember if it was 2.0 or 5.0 so I guessed. As to the mesh, I did cut a rather large hole out of it when I got it, so he should be getting everything he needs. I changed the temperature in the water so that it should be warming up to around 78F. I adjusted the dock so that it shouldn't trap him.

He basks regularly for - from what I could guess - about 4-5 hours every day, or until he sees someone and swims towards them.

I've been looking for decent tank deals since I got him. Right now I'm looking for a 55g with a stand and a new canister filter for it.
Last edited by Stalfos on Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RES - Sparta - 6"
User avatar
Stalfos
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Aug 19, 2007
Location: Hartford, CT

Post Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:41 pm   

Sounds good to me! :) I like the name!
User avatar
DavidY
 
Posts: 4391
Joined: Mar 9, 2007
Location: New Hampshire
Gender: Male

Next

Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 170 guests