Here is a pic of the first day I got him. He was a spur of the moment gift to me and my wife in a coffe cup. When we got home, he went into a bowl. I didnt know untill now, but to keep him from drowning, the water depth needs to be at least, 2 shells deep (long ways).
After reading all over this site, I realized I was going to have to make some BIG changes. The same night I go him, I dug out a storage tub that was free'd up because of x-mas. I washed and filled it a 1/3 up with tap water (thats all I had), and put a rock in the bottom that stuck out of the water. I then went out to the storage shop and found a drop light & wall outlet timer to use for heat & control. I used a 60 watt bulb, thats what I had. I made sure to keep the room temp at around 75 degrees that night because I didnt have a heater for the tank. Pokey was eating and basking, but I new the habitat was'nt correct.
The next day, I went all over the city rounding up supplies.
First stop was Walmart;
I first grabbed a 95 quart tub, checked for cracks or defects ($9.97).
Hit the fish section and tossed in the following;
Tetra heater rated for 30-60 gal. ($22.76)
Tetra Whisper flow bio-filter rated for 30-60 gal. ($34.97)
Ammonia clear tank buddy tabs ($2.64)
Another clamp light ($5.88)
Some stuff to dress the tub up, plants, rock & simmulated wood ($24.66)
And a python tank cleaner tube thing, I'll figure out how to use it as I go. lol. ($32.44)
With NO TIME TO WASTE, I hit our local pet store place. I didnt mess with Petco or Petsmart. I wanted to try the little mom & pop store first, maybe they knew more. I bought the following based on what I read here on this site;
2 pack of Turtle bones ($3.99)
7% UVB bulb, 60 watts I think ($27.99)
Large Zoo-Med turtle dock ($28.99)
Digital thermometer ($12.99)
6 guppies and some turt pellets ($4.99)
I went home, and set up Pokey's new place. I rinsed EVERYTHING in hot water and filled the tank with room temp water. Not sure if this was the correct thing to do or not, but I tossed in an ammonia tab while I was setting up the filter and acceceries.
Here is what it looked like when I was done.
Its been a few days since we got Pokey, but after all the re-search I had done on this site, I still need a WATER TEST KIT. Pokey is eating good and basking on a regular basis. He seems to love his new Casa.
HERE ARE A FEW PICS FROM TODAY, he measured out at 1.5".
He has some ammazing COLOR! Does he look healthy guys? He does to me, but what do I know? Unless its a Jeep, I'm LOST!








