Habitat - Indoor :: crush's tank set up

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:50 pm   

you can build her a "cave" out of rocks if you have some larger river rocks, or peices of shale rock like I do. You can also buy driftwood, and that can make a nice hiding spot.
Rosepruner
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Jan 21, 2009

Post Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:58 pm   

Rosepruner wrote:you can build her a "cave" out of rocks if you have some larger river rocks, or peices of shale rock like I do. You can also buy driftwood, and that can make a nice hiding spot.


Driftwood is great for hiding.

I use tunnels, because they can swim back and forth through them and push them around. Gives them something to do. Cactus tunnels are waterproof, by the way, and fun for babies.Plants with large leaves, nd bottom plants also add security.
User avatar
theartbook35
 
Posts: 2425
Joined: Mar 25, 2009
Location: Connecticut, US
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:15 pm   

theartbook35 wrote:As said, I would be worried about the metal hooks rusting, since rust does give off tetnis, and if it's harmful to people then it is probably harmful to turtles too.

Honestly, I recommend gravel rather than sand. Sand will get kicked up in the water, and can get trapped in your turtle's airways. You don't have to really worry about them ingesting the gravel because their food floats. If they were to pick up a gravel rock by accident, I would naturally trust them to dig it out of their mouth with their feet, as they do when they break apart their food while eating. (Turtles are pretty observant little guys. My male knows me so well that he always runs to me when he sees me, and shows no fear of me at all. The female hates me for some reason, even though she knows I am the one who brings the food).



DO NOT USE GRAVEL!!!!!!

Proof: Dead Turtle
Cap-hits, not Cafits.
User avatar
Caphits
 
Posts: 952
Joined: Jan 16, 2009
Location: Wyoming

Post Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:22 pm   

Caphits wrote:
theartbook35 wrote:As said, I would be worried about the metal hooks rusting, since rust does give off tetnis, and if it's harmful to people then it is probably harmful to turtles too.

Honestly, I recommend gravel rather than sand. Sand will get kicked up in the water, and can get trapped in your turtle's airways. You don't have to really worry about them ingesting the gravel because their food floats. If they were to pick up a gravel rock by accident, I would naturally trust them to dig it out of their mouth with their feet, as they do when they break apart their food while eating. (Turtles are pretty observant little guys. My male knows me so well that he always runs to me when he sees me, and shows no fear of me at all. The female hates me for some reason, even though she knows I am the one who brings the food).



DO NOT USE GRAVEL!!!!!!

Proof: Dead Turtle


yes no gravel! you could use gravel, but ONLY depending on the size of the turtle. But it's always better to be safe than sorry & not use gravel at all
1 RES: Crush, 7" long 5 years old
1 hedgehog: Sonic, 7 months old
User avatar
francinemarie
 
Posts: 493
Joined: Sep 20, 2008
Location: US

Post Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:03 pm   

Love your tank! Plastic hooks would work and stainless steel works also. I use stainlesss on my outdoor pond, they don't rust, but they are difficult to find. I found mine at ACE Hardware.
Crush looks very happy!
1 RES Barnie, 4 years old
7 dogs, all rescues (Misty, Chewbacca, Lexus, Toby, Sable, Claree, Harley)
1 cat, Eric
trudykurz
 
Posts: 113
Joined: Nov 4, 2008
Location: Houston, TX

Post Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:21 pm   

trudykurz wrote:Love your tank! Plastic hooks would work and stainless steel works also. I use stainlesss on my outdoor pond, they don't rust, but they are difficult to find. I found mine at ACE Hardware.
Crush looks very happy!


thank you :D!! yea stainless steel would seem hard to come by. there aren't many ACE hardware stores near me, but i'll keep that item in mind ;). She does seem very happy & she is healthy, thank you!!!!!
1 RES: Crush, 7" long 5 years old
1 hedgehog: Sonic, 7 months old
User avatar
francinemarie
 
Posts: 493
Joined: Sep 20, 2008
Location: US

Previous

Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 177 guests