Habitat - Indoor :: basking

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:35 am   basking

I can't find a good platform for basking. I have tried almost everything. I saw the pics in the gallery and they have great ideas. I have 2 questions about some of the set ups. The first one is about using PVC pipes...How do you weigh them down? Don't the turts knock them over? Mine seem to knock everything over. The second one is about the one with seperate wood platform with ramp....how do they not escape? I would think that they would climb right over where the ramp meets the top of the aquarium.
Thanks!!!
turtlelover95
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Aug 4, 2007
Location: Minnnesota

Post Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:22 am   

If you're not handy there are several good commercially made basking docks for turtles. The most common is the zoo med turtle dock, it floats and is anchored to the side by suction cups. Another good one is an acrylic ramp that suctions to the side, i use this kind and like it a lot. It's sturdy enough to hold a really big turtle, and it looks good and is easy to clean.
I think in the pictures of the above tank basking areas you are looking at it's hard to see, but people put plexiglass so that the turtles can't go over the sides. Above tank areas are great because they let you fill the whole tank with water to maximize the swimming area.
Adrienne!
2.0 RES: Turtley and Samson
1.0 Lutino Cockatiel: Lilly
assorted fish, hermit crabs, bugs etc.
User avatar
octpusgirl8
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1836
Joined: Feb 21, 2007
Location: Baltimore MD

Post Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:11 am   

Since your turtles are so large yo may have trouble with the commercial docks, I know some other people with large turtles have had to reinforce their floating docks with more suction or with more buoyancy. As for the PVC, I think the weight of the tiles on top should be enough to weigh it down. If not you could always add some sand to the pipe as long as you cap the ends. With the above tank basking most people extend the sides of the box so that it blocks the area where the ramp comes out of the water, preventing the turtle from climbing over. Or, as octupusgirl said, a lot of people add a length of plexiglass to achieve the same blocking effect.
2 RES: Leo (f) and Ezra (m)
1 Russian Tortoise: Godzilla (m)
User avatar
megcornell
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 3206
Joined: Apr 30, 2006
Location: New York, NY

Post Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:29 pm   

I have the largest turtle dock and it works great, i think it should last quite a while. How big are your turts?
~Christi
1.0 RES: Mikey R.I.P.
1.0 Het for Albino Red Tail Boa: Kaa ~adopted out
0.0.1 Northern BTS: Petri ~now a well-loved class pet

1.0 Am. Staff Mix: Brutus R.I.P.
1.0 German Shepherd: Pax

1.0 Husband: Will
0.1 Daughter: Lily
User avatar
untsmurf
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4291
Joined: Jul 28, 2007
Location: Carrollton, TX
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:52 pm   

If you're using PVC and don't have something heavy on top weighing the pipes down, you could cap the ends and fill the pipes with small stones.

You could also use corkbark for a basking area (no need for PVC).
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 12993
Joined: Apr 21, 2005
Location: CT, USA

Post Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:17 pm   

Marisa, do just let cork bark float like a raft or do you attach it to something?
SpotsMama
User avatar
SpotsMama
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 8079
Joined: Jun 7, 2006
Location: Mesquite Texas

Post Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:33 pm   

If ceramic tile is used on the PVC platform, it will easily weigh it down. You can also fill it with water but the tile is more than enough. It can get pretty heavy after 4 or 5 12"x12" tiles.

For me, cork bark needs to be wedged in so you can push part of it down to be submerged. My RES just can't climb on top if it when it's freely floating. I'm currently having trouble getting my cork bark to fit nicely so I'm going to attach a lower level to it just to make it more accessible.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:41 pm   

Ok. thanks.
SpotsMama
User avatar
SpotsMama
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 8079
Joined: Jun 7, 2006
Location: Mesquite Texas

Post Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:54 am   

my turts are HUGE (compared to most of the pics on this site). I still have to measure them. I tried the zoo med dock and thought it was terrible. They couldn't get on it, it kept unsuctioning, and they thought it was a toy. I think I'm going to try the out of the water dock. I have 2 aqauriums (because my male irritates the females with his fluttering) so I think I might try to do what another meember did and join the 2 tanks with the dock. I think my turts would love that!!!
turtlelover95
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Aug 4, 2007
Location: Minnnesota

Post Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:56 am   

3Have you tried a acrylic platform yet here is a good website

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/P ... 006+113872
2 RES Jack and Turbo
1 Shih-tzu/Poodle mix Cookie
User avatar
turboturtle8
 
Posts: 2355
Joined: Apr 4, 2007

Post Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:42 am   

no, how does that attach to the tank? I can't tell from the pic. I think I'm going to do a combining basking platform. I think that would give them more space to frolick around!!
turtlelover95
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Aug 4, 2007
Location: Minnnesota

Post Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:20 am   

It attaches with very strong suction-cups...
If it can hold Sheba, it can hold any-turtle!!!
Image
Really Awesome Text Loading...
███████████
▒▒▒▒ 78%

RES's
Tank, SCL 3.75in.
Diesel, SCL 3in.
User avatar
N4784N R4613
 
Posts: 1340
Joined: Jul 18, 2006
Location: Phila. PA.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:39 am   

lol

They work pretty good
2 RES Jack and Turbo
1 Shih-tzu/Poodle mix Cookie
User avatar
turboturtle8
 
Posts: 2355
Joined: Apr 4, 2007


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 155 guests