Habitat - Indoor :: what should I do if the power goes out??

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:40 am   what should I do if the power goes out??

The other morning I woke up and the power was out! I was so worried for my little turtle, because his filter, lamps, and water heater all run off electricity. How long can a turtle go without all of that? What should I do if the power goes off for a good amount of time? I really would like to know, just so i can be prepared, the power goes out quite a bit during the winter. ): :cry:
1 RES: Little Turtle
1 Mali Uromastyx: Mr. Uromastyx
3 Cats: Big Kitten, Little Kitten, Baby Kitten
Sarah89
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Nov 21, 2007
Location: Connecticut, USA

Post Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:46 am   

Thank you for posting this, I have the exact same question. My lights flickered today and it got me wondering since I have hatchlings and I know they are more fragile than adults.
1 Pekin Duck- Bumby
1 Adult Midland Painted Turtle- Nyx
2 Hatchling Midland Painted Turtles- Gimli, Marvolo
1 Normal Gray Cockatiel- Egore
User avatar
Bumby's Mom
 
Posts: 751
Joined: Jul 20, 2007

Post Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:25 am   

The main worry would be water temperatures dropping. The filter and lamps can be off for a little while, but you need to keep an eye on the water temps. Smaller tanks/less water would be subject to a faster change, and if the temperatures drop beyond a point you're comfortable with, then take your turtle out and put it into a warmer area.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 90 guests