Habitat - Indoor :: I got my tank! But some more help is needed ...

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:02 pm   I got my tank! But some more help is needed ...

So, $350 later, I've gotten a 40 gallon breeder tank, a Rena FilStar XP3 filter, a 200 watt heater, and all of the lighting I think we'll need.

Problem is, I'm stuck on two things. 1) I need a screen to go on the tank to keep cats out, turtle in, and to support the lights. Any suggestions? PetSmart doesn't carry 36"x18" screens in the store and the hardware store was less than helpful. 2) Basking area, I am at such a loss as to what to put into the tank. I don't want one of those turtle docks, and I'm not sure about the turtle ramps. Let's say I want to put a big rock in there, what kind of rocks do I buy, from where, what concerns should I have about them? What other ideas are there? I saw driftwood for sale but it was really expensive and didn't have a flat surface on it for him to lay out. I really liked the setup the local aquarium has for their RES (they are gorgeous, gotta be 10-12" each) and the two of them were basking on a giant rock.

Thanks for any help!!
JAX
- - -
Baby Boy - January 9th, 2011! (3 months old)
1 RES - 7" long - Umi (3.5 years old)
1 black lab/hound mix - Josie (1.5 year old)
2 cats - Mysti and Molly (6.5 years old)
User avatar
TheComputerGremlin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3732
Joined: Jan 12, 2008
Location: Washington, DC

Post Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:33 pm   

For the screen, try calling the petco in clifton park, that is where I buy most of my turtle supplies, they have a good selection. There's probably one in Albany as well, and in my experience the local petcos are nicer than the petsmarts.

As for the basking docks, I wouldn't do rocks just because they take up so much space and stacking them is always a hazard- a few turtles have drowned when their rocks trapped them underwater. I think it's an unnecessary risk to have in a tank. You could build a basking area, look through the photos for some ideas, or you can buy one. I think the acrylic ramps work well for larger turtles. Driftwood is a nice natural one, but you're right it is pricey.
2 RES: Leo (f) and Ezra (m)
1 Russian Tortoise: Godzilla (m)
User avatar
megcornell
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 3206
Joined: Apr 30, 2006
Location: New York, NY

Post Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:45 pm   

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll definitely swing by a Petco tomorrow and check their selection. I also found an exact size match on Glasscages.com, so worst case, they'll probably ship me one in a few days.

And yeah, I'm still up for ideas on basking areas. I'm in an apartment, so I have no building abilities whatsoever. I was worried that multiple rocks might fall, which is why I was hoping to find a nice sturdy single one, but I'll check out Petco's selection of basking platforms too.

Any other suggestions are definitely welcome. I've had trouble finding all of these tank setup pictures on the forums because they are so scattered. I'd love to see a forum thread with nothing but people's tank setups!! I'd submit the first picture if I was set up yet!
JAX
- - -
Baby Boy - January 9th, 2011! (3 months old)
1 RES - 7" long - Umi (3.5 years old)
1 black lab/hound mix - Josie (1.5 year old)
2 cats - Mysti and Molly (6.5 years old)
User avatar
TheComputerGremlin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3732
Joined: Jan 12, 2008
Location: Washington, DC

Post Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:50 pm   

http://www.redearslider.com/habitat_gallery.html
There are some inside set up ideas.
2 RES: Leo (f) and Ezra (m)
1 Russian Tortoise: Godzilla (m)
User avatar
megcornell
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 3206
Joined: Apr 30, 2006
Location: New York, NY

Post Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:43 am   

My answers to both: eggcrate.
Egg crate is that stuff that often covers flourescent lights. The holes are about 1/2", so it's the right size for the uv light. It's also ridged and can hold up the lights.
For the dock, both Ralph's and Frankie's docks, they have a cut piece of eggcrate on an angle (half in the water, half out), and they're suspended with string and suction cups :)
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
User avatar
BullDog
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3889
Joined: Jun 21, 2006
Location: BC, Canada

Post Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:24 pm   

I know it's not cheap, but a nice piece of corkbark looks so nice and natural as a basking area www.blackjungle.com (look under Wood for Wet Habitats) has always sent me decent pieces. I'm not sure what you mean about needing a flat surface for basking---corkbark is textured, and that's good because you want your turtle's plastron to dry off as well. And you'd want to get a "curl," not a flat piece, to provide a natural ramp for your turtle to be able to climb on it.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 12993
Joined: Apr 21, 2005
Location: CT, USA

Post Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:24 am   

Well, I found a screen top at the Petco in Clifton Park, cleanest, nicest looking Petco I've been to! And I've found something that I think will work as a basking area, so I'll post that once I've gotten it up and running and it works (no sense posting any of my epic failures on here!).
JAX
- - -
Baby Boy - January 9th, 2011! (3 months old)
1 RES - 7" long - Umi (3.5 years old)
1 black lab/hound mix - Josie (1.5 year old)
2 cats - Mysti and Molly (6.5 years old)
User avatar
TheComputerGremlin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3732
Joined: Jan 12, 2008
Location: Washington, DC


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 64 guests