Habitat - Indoor :: need a 48x20 screen lid

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:53 am   need a 48x20 screen lid

Hey everyone! We are new to having turtles, andmy wife and I are in the process of setting up our tank to ensure it is up and running prior to getting our two new turtles. However, our 75 gallon tank is 48" long, and 20" wide...the best screen lid I can find is 48x18. Would that work well enough?, or does anyone know where I could find a 48x20 lid? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!!
mortisandmo
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Aug 8, 2008
Location: Wexford, PA

Post Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:33 pm   

You shouldn't get a screen lid, it blocks out a lot of the UVB rays. You can get some plastic egg crate from Home Depot or Lowes. They sell them in 48''x 24'' sheets for like $11. They are super easy to size down and will allow for more light to come through.
~Christi
1.0 RES: Mikey R.I.P.
1.0 Het for Albino Red Tail Boa: Kaa ~adopted out
0.0.1 Northern BTS: Petri ~now a well-loved class pet

1.0 Am. Staff Mix: Brutus R.I.P.
1.0 German Shepherd: Pax

1.0 Husband: Will
0.1 Daughter: Lily
User avatar
untsmurf
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4291
Joined: Jul 28, 2007
Location: Carrollton, TX
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:10 pm   

I use a screen. It holes are large and I try to compensate for the loss of light by moving the lights a bit closer to the dock than I would put them otherwise. Glasscages.com makes custom screens if you really want one. I have one of theirs and it is nice. They only have them in the color of base metal. I spray painted mine black to match the tank and let it cure for a long time (so the vapors wouldnt bother the turt). It is hinged across the middle so I can lift it to clean the tank. I like it.

The advantage of egg crate is that you can cut spots for your tubes and cables and still have it sit flat on the tank. Screens can be cut as well but mine still has a gap on one end. In either case make sure your turtle cant escape. Either keep the water line well away from the top of the tank or weight down the screen somehow.
Mom to:

1 RES - Tuck
3 Cats - Max, Theo, & Smokey
Lots of mollies and platies
1 Pleco - Spot
1 brand new betta
AND
2 very wild and creative 6 year old humans!
User avatar
mat012
 
Posts: 569
Joined: Apr 9, 2008
Location: Aggieland, Texas

Post Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:15 pm   

You can buy clips to keep them on.
~Christi
1.0 RES: Mikey R.I.P.
1.0 Het for Albino Red Tail Boa: Kaa ~adopted out
0.0.1 Northern BTS: Petri ~now a well-loved class pet

1.0 Am. Staff Mix: Brutus R.I.P.
1.0 German Shepherd: Pax

1.0 Husband: Will
0.1 Daughter: Lily
User avatar
untsmurf
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4291
Joined: Jul 28, 2007
Location: Carrollton, TX
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:20 pm   

the egg crate is probably your best bet. the holes are big enough to not block the uvb.
Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall. Torque is how far you move a wall

1.0.0 Red Ear Slider-Cujo
0.2.0 part Boston Terrier part Pugs-Hershey and Lilly
Daniel3507
 
Posts: 2152
Joined: Aug 18, 2007
Location: Oklahoma

Post Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:41 am   

Screen doesn't "block" UVB rays, it just weakens them. Usually by a percentage of about 30%. If you get a screen with holes less than 1/2", there will be a reduction in UVB, and the smaller the holes, the more UVB is restricted.

Like daniel said I would just go with egg crate, formally known as light diffuser in the hardware store.
http://chrisredearslider.blogspot.com/
1.0 Red Ear Slider-Squirt
37g-Dwarf Gourami/Peaceful Comm. tank
1.0 Axolotl-Axle
0.1 Dog-Leia
User avatar
Chrisbarnett
 
Posts: 2399
Joined: Dec 26, 2007
Location: Cali


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 133 guests