Posted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:29 pm
You can treat a lot of unwanted tank organisms by raising the temp to about 80* for a while and adding aquarium salt as per the cartons directions (1 tsp per 5 gallons - I think). You can also take out the decorations and wash them in a very diluted solution of bleach and water. Rinse very well before you return them to the tank. Also take out any uneaten food so that it doesnt sit at the bottom of the tank uneaten. Sometime rotting food promotes tank problems.
I wouldnt panic just yet. I would not get a chemical to treat the tank just yet either. They might give you quick cure (methylene blue) or some other treatment at the lfs but these are really for fish diseases and can wreak havoc on establish bacteria in your filter. I had a fish with a fungal disease not too long ago and couldnt verify that these treatments would not harm the turtle. I didnt use them in the turtle tank and will not in the future. The salt should help a lot and it wont hurt your little guy.
There is a product called Pimafix. I have not seen it discussed much here - probably because it is for fish. But it is supposed to be a "natural" product. Again I probably wouldnt use it in a turtle tank without verification from the company (aquarium pharmaceuticals) that it would be safe. But of all of the anti-fungals out there this is the only one I would ever consider - and then only if a problem was very serious and couldnt be tackled through other means. (In fact I would strip the tank and clean everything out before I used it).
All that said - I wouldnt get too worried yet. It was just a small case and localized to your decorations (were they wood?). It should clear up by just keeping the water clean and well filtered. Hopefully too someone else has a similar experience to help as well.
Mom to:
1 RES - Tuck
3 Cats - Max, Theo, & Smokey
Lots of mollies and platies
1 Pleco - Spot
1 brand new betta
AND
2 very wild and creative 6 year old humans!