Habitat - Indoor :: fifty five gallon tank.

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:42 pm   fifty five gallon tank.

WHOOT! I scored a fifty five long gallon tank for free for my babies.
I now have two babies, Turk and Zola.
They're barely an inch and is currently in a twenty gallon tank.
I'll be getting the tank tomorrow or Sunday so I'd like to know what I need.
I don't have a filter as I change the water regularly each day and I'd like to know the recommended filter that's not pricey.
I'm using legos as a turtle dock, and the turtles love it!
And no, I'm not using the rough side, I'm using this flat piece that you can use as a floor and I'm using the back side which is smooth.
The babies basks regularly and gets tons of calcium and veggies, yum.
We need
-Hood

-New light fixture

-Good filtre

-Live plants [Any good ones that grows large and edible? Zola and Turk are HOOKED to romian lettuce and carrots)

-Turtle safe decorations all under the price of $100.
:O
I'm ransacking the Petco and Petsmart web sites right now so I can annoy my dad to take me and get the stuff possibly tonight or tomorrow.
[=
PICTURES COMING SOON AFTER WE GET THE TANK.
abbleyhart
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Jun 29, 2008

Post Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:43 pm   

Youu trippennnn..DOnt get live plants ur turtles will eat em right away.. but where u getting the tank 4rm??
2 RES Squirtle and Screw..
..Russian Tortoise Big Moe
User avatar
ScrewZoo
 
Posts: 1025
Joined: Jul 18, 2008
Location: Dallas, Texas

Post Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:12 pm   

Live plants are fine and are actually recomended, just make sure you dont get any that will kill your lil guys. One of the wiely used but perfectly fine plants to use is Anacharis.
Pets
1 x Male Rio Grande RES named Niko (knee-co) - Growth Chart - DOB 7/03/2008 (Owned since 9/24/2008)
3 x Cats (Orange Tabi, Black n Gray Tabi & Black Long Hair)
Feeding Lists
Niko: → Feed Me ← (Updated 6/10/11)
Cats: Cat Food ;-p
User avatar
MoreBloodWine
 
Posts: 999
Joined: Sep 3, 2008
Location: Meadville, Pa
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:37 pm   

Your best bet for a filter is a canister filter. It's definitely a pricey investment, but it's the best value out there for larger tanks.
When I first had my one turtle in a 55 gallon, I used a submersible fluval (the 4+ maybe???) and that worked for a while, but with two turtles, I think you'd be pushing it to it's limit.
As for plants, anacharis is great for turtles, but don't expect to grow it in the tank... most turtles demolish it immediately. I buy a bunch and give it as a treat to supplement their regular veggies.
With a 55 gallon you have the option of buying an MVB bulb instead of a separate UVA and UVB bulb, that may be something you want to look into. It's also better than hoods because you can adjust the distance the bulb (or bulbs if you buy UVA and B separately) is from the tank to adjust the basking temperature. UVB bulbs shouldn't generally be any closer than 10 inches or a foot to the basking area.
2 RES: Leo (f) and Ezra (m)
1 Russian Tortoise: Godzilla (m)
User avatar
megcornell
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 3206
Joined: Apr 30, 2006
Location: New York, NY

Post Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:49 pm   

I thought MVB's werent so great to use, I read something here not to long ago about not using them.

MVB = Mercury Vapor Bulb
Pets
1 x Male Rio Grande RES named Niko (knee-co) - Growth Chart - DOB 7/03/2008 (Owned since 9/24/2008)
3 x Cats (Orange Tabi, Black n Gray Tabi & Black Long Hair)
Feeding Lists
Niko: → Feed Me ← (Updated 6/10/11)
Cats: Cat Food ;-p
User avatar
MoreBloodWine
 
Posts: 999
Joined: Sep 3, 2008
Location: Meadville, Pa
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:51 pm   

MVB's are fine in larger tanks, but they are too powerful for smaller tanks.
I don't recommend them for anything smaller than 55g because they would heat the water up too much.
2 RES: Leo (f) and Ezra (m)
1 Russian Tortoise: Godzilla (m)
User avatar
megcornell
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 3206
Joined: Apr 30, 2006
Location: New York, NY

Post Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:57 pm   

MVB's are actually the ideal solution since they provide all the required light in one fixture and typically last longer that compact bulbs. They are mostly used in marine tank scenarios because they provide the best possible 'sun-like' light that you can get for indoor use. The light also permeates deeper into the tank than compacts so they are essentially more efficient.

The only real downsides are the potential cost (some are expensive) and the fact that they can't (or shouldn't) be used for smaller tanks, typically under 55 gallons.
1 RES, Spike (In new home with 1xPleco, 1xRed Zebra Cichlid, 1xYellow Lab Cichlid)
2 Cats, Blossom & Panda
2 Tropical tanks (plecos, platies, tetras)
2 Handsome Blue Bettas, Blueberry & ?
1 Bright Red Betta, Strawberry
1 Feeder guppy breeding tank
User avatar
Fuzzy Hamster
 
Posts: 339
Joined: Jul 14, 2008
Location: Toronto

Post Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:31 am   

So on the 72x24x30 tank I wana get an MVB would actually be recomended then ? Also when using an MVB dont you still need another light or something ?
Pets
1 x Male Rio Grande RES named Niko (knee-co) - Growth Chart - DOB 7/03/2008 (Owned since 9/24/2008)
3 x Cats (Orange Tabi, Black n Gray Tabi & Black Long Hair)
Feeding Lists
Niko: → Feed Me ← (Updated 6/10/11)
Cats: Cat Food ;-p
User avatar
MoreBloodWine
 
Posts: 999
Joined: Sep 3, 2008
Location: Meadville, Pa
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:09 am   

An MVB fixture would be recommended in your set-up, but because you may need to suspend it sevral inches over the basking area (so you don't blind your turtle) you may also have to get a separate heat source. I don't currently have MVB lighting so I'll defer to someone that currently has an MVB to answer questions about their heating configuration.
1 RES, Spike (In new home with 1xPleco, 1xRed Zebra Cichlid, 1xYellow Lab Cichlid)
2 Cats, Blossom & Panda
2 Tropical tanks (plecos, platies, tetras)
2 Handsome Blue Bettas, Blueberry & ?
1 Bright Red Betta, Strawberry
1 Feeder guppy breeding tank
User avatar
Fuzzy Hamster
 
Posts: 339
Joined: Jul 14, 2008
Location: Toronto

Post Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:51 am   

Well for the original posters sake and mine I suppose lets hope some others do end up replying on the whole MVB thing. In either case it would be suspended above the basking spot atleast 10" if not more. The good thing though would not be needing a second lamp or element for a heat soruce, but like you said let defer to someone who owns and uses MVB's right now and how they have em placed in height etc.

Also whats the minimum height for any light source so as not to blind ones turtle... I know brightness has to do with it a bit.
Pets
1 x Male Rio Grande RES named Niko (knee-co) - Growth Chart - DOB 7/03/2008 (Owned since 9/24/2008)
3 x Cats (Orange Tabi, Black n Gray Tabi & Black Long Hair)
Feeding Lists
Niko: → Feed Me ← (Updated 6/10/11)
Cats: Cat Food ;-p
User avatar
MoreBloodWine
 
Posts: 999
Joined: Sep 3, 2008
Location: Meadville, Pa
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:49 am   

i have a mega ray mvb for my 55gal. its hanging directly over the basking area about 10 inches away and i dont need any extra heat source. just keep an eye on the basking temp till you get it dialed in and be sure and follow the instructions on the distance.

MoreBloodWine, i have no clue haha
Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall. Torque is how far you move a wall

1.0.0 Red Ear Slider-Cujo
0.2.0 part Boston Terrier part Pugs-Hershey and Lilly
Daniel3507
 
Posts: 2152
Joined: Aug 18, 2007
Location: Oklahoma

Post Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:25 pm   

If you plan on using a MVB for a tank, you need to make sure there is vertical space to adjust the height/distance of the lamp. These are large bulbs that need dome fixtures, so I'd say you should have roughly 3 feet of space above the basking area.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:03 pm   

steve wrote:I'd say you should have roughly 3 feet of space above the basking area.
So what are you saying 3ft from bulb to platform ?
Pets
1 x Male Rio Grande RES named Niko (knee-co) - Growth Chart - DOB 7/03/2008 (Owned since 9/24/2008)
3 x Cats (Orange Tabi, Black n Gray Tabi & Black Long Hair)
Feeding Lists
Niko: → Feed Me ← (Updated 6/10/11)
Cats: Cat Food ;-p
User avatar
MoreBloodWine
 
Posts: 999
Joined: Sep 3, 2008
Location: Meadville, Pa
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:24 pm   

No, that would depend on the strength of the bulb. For example, the T-Rex flood MVB -- 100 watt mvb needs to be 12" away, a 160 watt bulb needs to be 18" away. You add the turtle height, plus the height of the lamp dome, then 3 feet is a rough estimate.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:27 pm   

You need to follow the mfgr's instructions for the distance the light should be from the basking area. Typically a 100-watt MVB is 12 inches, a 160-watt MVB is 18 inches, but there is a small range that the bulb can be adjusted to allow for temp adjustment while allowing the turtle maximum UVB benefit.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 12993
Joined: Apr 21, 2005
Location: CT, USA

Next

Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 132 guests