Habitat - Indoor :: Why Not Near a Window?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:57 pm   Why Not Near a Window?

I read on the main page that habitats should not be placed near a window. This is probably extremely ignorant, but I don't see why.

I use both a UVA and UVB lamp and keep the water at a suitable temperature. The window doesn't seem to have any effect on anything.
queenjane
 
Posts: 262
Joined: Sep 7, 2008

Post Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:05 pm   

The sunlight can drastically heat the water, endangering your turtle's health.
On a less serious note, sunlight can really cause an algae bloom.
2 RES: Leo (f) and Ezra (m)
1 Russian Tortoise: Godzilla (m)
User avatar
megcornell
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 3206
Joined: Apr 30, 2006
Location: New York, NY

Post Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:07 pm   

It can be placed near a window provided it is not directly in front of a window or that the sunlight can get to your tank. I have my tank between two windows (with blinds) and I have no problems.
Toby - RES - adopted in December 2007 - 120g tank - Fluval FX5

Max - Pit Bull/Irish Setter/Dalmatian mix - adopted in March 2009
Lola - Pit Bull mix - adopted in June 2009
User avatar
meltedspork
 
Posts: 729
Joined: Feb 13, 2008
Location: Yorkville, IL, USA
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:26 am   

i have mine right in front of a window becuase my guy LOVES to look out the window. of course he is only allowed to do this in the early, early morning or right before dark. I have to use a really thick blind and sometimes even a sheet if it's super hot or cold to keep it from affecting his temps. I also have to monitor his temps MATICULOUSLY because as stated above, the sun coming through the glass can heat up the tank FAST., but that is the reason they say not near a window. Oh yeah, and i have to fight with the algae because of letting the light through, but I just deal with it and go the extra mile on algae control becuase my turt just absolutely LOVES those hours looking out the window. If he didn't, I'd just keep it somewhere else and cut out all the extra work...lol.
1 Male RES, 16 yrs. "Krueger"
1 Female Central American Wood Turtle
2 Dogs
3 Cats
User avatar
mzkitty23
 
Posts: 590
Joined: May 25, 2008
Location: Texas

Post Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:20 am   

They can also be exposed to drafts and the constantly change water temps are not healthy. They also don't receive any health benefits since windows will block out the UVB and insect screens will block most of it.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:36 am   

yep, it's a lot of trouble to avoid all that stuff that steve said....i just do it because i'm insane and i'm spoiled the poo out of him....
1 Male RES, 16 yrs. "Krueger"
1 Female Central American Wood Turtle
2 Dogs
3 Cats
User avatar
mzkitty23
 
Posts: 590
Joined: May 25, 2008
Location: Texas

Post Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:37 am   

Like mzkitty23, I too have my aquarium in front of a window because my turtle loves to look out the window, too. When she basks, she faces the window. I do have the wood blinds on my windows, so I can control the amount of sunlight that goes thru. I do keep a check on the temp of the water and it seems fine. I don't plan on moving her away from the window. Before we moved her, we had her in our basement and I just hated the fact that she was in the basement away from the "action" of the upstairs. She seems to love being a part of the household. Maybe that's my imagination, but I like to think she loves it! :lol:
MEL
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Sep 11, 2008
Location: Atlanta


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 118 guests