Habitat - Indoor :: Salt in Aquarium Water

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:16 am   Salt in Aquarium Water

Has anybody ever put salt in their turtle's aquarium? I've read that it's ok to put approx. 2 Tbs of table salt in the tank to keep fungal infections at bay. Any thoughts? Thank you. :)
MEL
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Sep 11, 2008
Location: Atlanta

Post Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:27 am   

ive heard of that with betas but not with turtles
Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall. Torque is how far you move a wall

1.0.0 Red Ear Slider-Cujo
0.2.0 part Boston Terrier part Pugs-Hershey and Lilly
Daniel3507
 
Posts: 2152
Joined: Aug 18, 2007
Location: Oklahoma

Post Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:36 am   

My take is that salt is good for some tropical fish like guppies, but I don't think turtles benefit from it.
So long as you dechlorinate the water and have the proper filtration you should be fine.
2 RES: Leo (f) and Ezra (m)
1 Russian Tortoise: Godzilla (m)
User avatar
megcornell
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 3206
Joined: Apr 30, 2006
Location: New York, NY

Post Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:49 am   

Salt is used for fish, I don't think it would be good for turtles. It works with fish because they have a slim coat and it helps increase their slime coat to protect them against illness and reduce their stress.
Toby - RES - adopted in December 2007 - 120g tank - Fluval FX5

Max - Pit Bull/Irish Setter/Dalmatian mix - adopted in March 2009
Lola - Pit Bull mix - adopted in June 2009
User avatar
meltedspork
 
Posts: 729
Joined: Feb 13, 2008
Location: Yorkville, IL, USA
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:00 am   

The following paragraph is some info I got off a website called austinsturtlepage.com:

"A little something to aid in your struggle with water quality, is adding some fresh water aquarium salt to your tank. This also helps fight fungus and is over all beneficial to your turtles. Just don't over do it."

So, I know it's ok to add the salt, I was just wondering if anybody had done it and if it was successful.
MEL
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Sep 11, 2008
Location: Atlanta

Post Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:44 am   

As long as it's fresh water aquarium salt (not table salt!) and used as directed, it's fine. Remember that it will not evaporate, so only replace it after a water change. To be honest, I have not noticed any difference in the water when I used it. My turtle has a reoccurring shell fungus problem, so I plan on trying it again later.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:50 am   

OK - Thank you, Steve. I appreciate the help.
MEL
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Sep 11, 2008
Location: Atlanta

Post Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:21 pm   

Crud. I figured it evaporated so everytime I add more water to my fish tank I add more salt!!! I guess I will stop doing that if I haven't just killed my fish.
1 Pekin Duck- Bumby
1 Adult Midland Painted Turtle- Nyx
2 Hatchling Midland Painted Turtles- Gimli, Marvolo
1 Normal Gray Cockatiel- Egore
User avatar
Bumby's Mom
 
Posts: 751
Joined: Jul 20, 2007


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 62 guests