Habitat - Indoor :: So hows this look for temps ?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:30 am   So hows this look for temps ?

First, yes I read the water and basking temp post... the point of this post is just to get some opinions.

The sticker thermometer thats on the far right of the tank with the heater on the left reads the water at best I can tell 78 - 80 while the digital reads 74 - 76

Now I used my infrared temp gun to measure the basking spots and I went from one end of the turtle dock to the other and the temps seem to be anywhere from 80 - 93... the higher being towards the middle of the dock which is about the spot the 5.5" reflector dome is hovering above.

On a side note this (not who I bought from just usin as example) is the digital thermometer I bought for the 10g tank, it's fully submersible which is really cool. I was gonna go with these for my larger tank when I get the $2k plus that I need for the tank, pumps etc. but instead I'm thinking I'll go with the ZooMed one I linked here.
Pets
1 x Male Rio Grande RES named Niko (knee-co) - Growth Chart - DOB 7/03/2008 (Owned since 9/24/2008)
3 x Cats (Orange Tabi, Black n Gray Tabi & Black Long Hair)
Feeding Lists
Niko: → Feed Me ← (Updated 6/10/11)
Cats: Cat Food ;-p
User avatar
MoreBloodWine
 
Posts: 999
Joined: Sep 3, 2008
Location: Meadville, Pa
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:40 am   

Looks fine to me. I wouldn't trust the stick on thermometer, I would just go by the temp gun and the digi's.
~Christi
1.0 RES: Mikey R.I.P.
1.0 Het for Albino Red Tail Boa: Kaa ~adopted out
0.0.1 Northern BTS: Petri ~now a well-loved class pet

1.0 Am. Staff Mix: Brutus R.I.P.
1.0 German Shepherd: Pax

1.0 Husband: Will
0.1 Daughter: Lily
User avatar
untsmurf
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4291
Joined: Jul 28, 2007
Location: Carrollton, TX
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:01 pm   

I know I'm just using it for comparison to the digital but ty ;-)

I was worried that the basking temp might be a big hot but thats just on the dead center spot. But really when you put your hand there it doesnt feel blistering hot just really really nice.
Pets
1 x Male Rio Grande RES named Niko (knee-co) - Growth Chart - DOB 7/03/2008 (Owned since 9/24/2008)
3 x Cats (Orange Tabi, Black n Gray Tabi & Black Long Hair)
Feeding Lists
Niko: → Feed Me ← (Updated 6/10/11)
Cats: Cat Food ;-p
User avatar
MoreBloodWine
 
Posts: 999
Joined: Sep 3, 2008
Location: Meadville, Pa
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:34 am   

Try to have the basking light over a larger area. My male RES always starts at the warmest area on his bark then slowly moves further away.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:46 am   

The light as it is now is over the entire dock, I was just saying the temp differences that I found by moving from one end to the other. Everyone will have a similar variance if they move their digital temp guns or whatever they use over the various parts of the ATBA / turtle dock.
Pets
1 x Male Rio Grande RES named Niko (knee-co) - Growth Chart - DOB 7/03/2008 (Owned since 9/24/2008)
3 x Cats (Orange Tabi, Black n Gray Tabi & Black Long Hair)
Feeding Lists
Niko: → Feed Me ← (Updated 6/10/11)
Cats: Cat Food ;-p
User avatar
MoreBloodWine
 
Posts: 999
Joined: Sep 3, 2008
Location: Meadville, Pa
Gender: Male


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 131 guests