Habitat - Indoor :: plexiglass tank vs normal glass tank?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:14 pm   plexiglass tank vs normal glass tank?

hello, im trying to buy a bigger tank for my turtles on craigslist and i found two good deals on plexiglass tanks (60 and 70 gallons). which do you guys recommend is better for turtles, glass or plexiglass? i read around online and found that plexiglass scratches more easier but is lighter........what do you guys think?????
User avatar
slowmo
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Oct 29, 2007

Post Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:22 pm   

I believe plexiglass *can* scratch more easily...But there are some members here that have had great (scratch free) Plexiglass tanks
Chris (Turtle Newb in training)
2 tiny RES (Cuff and Link)
1 3 Toed Boxie (Ms. Pineapple)
1 Dwarf Bunny (Mischa)
User avatar
chrisinva
 
Posts: 695
Joined: Aug 25, 2008
Location: Virginia

Post Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:32 pm   

i have an acrylic. love it. I can easily carry my 55g by myself when empty.

Some say turtles nails scratch acrylic, yet I have not experienced this.
http://chrisredearslider.blogspot.com/
1.0 Red Ear Slider-Squirt
37g-Dwarf Gourami/Peaceful Comm. tank
1.0 Axolotl-Axle
0.1 Dog-Leia
User avatar
Chrisbarnett
 
Posts: 2399
Joined: Dec 26, 2007
Location: Cali

Post Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:36 pm   

I like the idea of plexiglass because it's lighter, but that's the only pro I'm really certain about. And, the cons (to me) are the added price and the scratch factor.
My tanks haven't moved around my apartment since I bought them, and I don't plan on moving them so the weight of glass isn't a concern, plus I have sturdy stands so I don't worry about accidents.

If you've found a good deal though, and are ok with the risk of scratches, I say go for it.
2 RES: Leo (f) and Ezra (m)
1 Russian Tortoise: Godzilla (m)
User avatar
megcornell
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 3206
Joined: Apr 30, 2006
Location: New York, NY

Post Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:38 pm   

heres a good chart of the pro/cons.
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/a ... _glass.php
http://chrisredearslider.blogspot.com/
1.0 Red Ear Slider-Squirt
37g-Dwarf Gourami/Peaceful Comm. tank
1.0 Axolotl-Axle
0.1 Dog-Leia
User avatar
Chrisbarnett
 
Posts: 2399
Joined: Dec 26, 2007
Location: Cali


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 58 guests