Habitat - Indoor :: Need help with basking area

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:45 am   Need help with basking area

I have 2 2yr old yellow belly sliders who are 8 inches and 9 inches long and 5 and 6 inches wide(shell only :shock: ). Their in a 5 foot tank but their too heavy for even the large turtle dock and they cant get onto a turtle island due to no ramp and their too big. If anyone has any ideas of how I can make them a basking area I would be very grateful(so would they) with pics if possible

Ive looked in the post for the basking platforms and have tried one or too but they havnt worked or were gonna cost way too much because they would need to be strengthened due to the turtles size and weight

Thanks
3 dogs~Jake(7), Bonnie(6) and Sophie(11)
2 2yr old yellow belly monsters~Tuck(8 inches) and Stripes(9 inches)
2 plectos~Sharkey and George
Elaine.dc5
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Oct 3, 2008
Location: Ireland

Post Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:24 am   

Did you check out the basking area sticky? That should give you some ideas. I made my turt a beach area, I used old rabbit cage pieces too support it. Maybe you can use the wire shelving sold at a hardware store and cover it in something like the rubber shelf liners. Then use an old dock or egg crate as your ramp.
I hope that helps :)
My favorite things in the world:
1 res, 3 cats, 3 bunnies, 1 dog, 2 african clawed frogs, guppies, pleco, 30+ fancy mice, 2 hermit crabs and 4 small humans
User avatar
Sassamo
 
Posts: 310
Joined: Aug 25, 2008
Location: Canada

Post Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:55 pm   

I've found the zip ties + white egg crate combo to be fantastic and really easy to use. You can get the egg crate material at home depot. It's the plastic panels they sell to diffuse fluorescent lights.
-robind
robind
 
Posts: 289
Joined: Oct 26, 2008
Location: santa cruz

Post Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:04 pm   

i saw that some one on here i think used one of those reptile hammocks to support a floating dock.
CoReY
Tupac(RES)
Jules and Vinny(juvie RES)
Apollo(Black lab\Rottie)
Duke(Great Dane)
Lucy and Jane(leopard geckos)
User avatar
TupacTheTurle
 
Posts: 141
Joined: Sep 21, 2008
Location: Scranton, PA


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 110 guests