Habitat - Indoor :: Algae Issues

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:12 pm   Algae Issues

So I notice that algae grows pretty fast in my tank and it's not very easy to clean my tank, I just got a siphon thing and I don't have a very good filter (I'm using 2 small ones for now until I can afford a canister) and I tried getting an algae eater fish (I picked out a big, fast one) but they ate it (RIP Mittens) Any suggestions on what I can do to keep the algae growth to a minimum? I do change the water frequently, by the way.

Thanks :)
Hatchling71
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Jan 22, 2009
Location: Colorado

Post Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:48 am   

is the tank near a window?
Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall. Torque is how far you move a wall

1.0.0 Red Ear Slider-Cujo
0.2.0 part Boston Terrier part Pugs-Hershey and Lilly
Daniel3507
 
Posts: 2152
Joined: Aug 18, 2007
Location: Oklahoma

Post Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:56 am   

Nope, I think I'm just going to switch to sand pretty soon because all I have right how is big rocks that I have to take out and individually scrub to get the algae off and it takes forever.
Hatchling71
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Jan 22, 2009
Location: Colorado

Post Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:31 am   

Try scrubbing each individual grain of sand! :lol:
Cap-hits, not Cafits.
User avatar
Caphits
 
Posts: 952
Joined: Jan 16, 2009
Location: Wyoming

Post Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:00 am   

A few quick suggestions

1 Get a right sized filter as soon as you can
2 Keep up the partial water changes
3 Make sure you are cleaning you exiasiting filters in tank water not tap
4 Keep away from sunlight
5 If you have an air stone, try switching it off
6 Make sure you are not overfeeding

Another question: Is your tank big enough for the turtle?
seanwb
 
Posts: 222
Joined: Sep 1, 2008
Location: London, England

Post Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:34 pm   

there is this stuff that kills algae, but i dont remember what its called. they also have algae scrapers that scrape the algae off the side of the tank without scratching the glass
"Chuck Norris doesn't wear sunblock, the sun wears chuckblock"
ESG4Life
 
Posts: 375
Joined: Jan 15, 2009
Location: Kauai,Hawaii

Post Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:51 pm   

Basically you just need to make sure your tank is big enough for your turtle(s) and you have a strong enough filter. If you have those, you shouldn't have an algae problem... unless of course the tank is exposed to direct sunlight.
Toby - RES - adopted in December 2007 - 120g tank - Fluval FX5

Max - Pit Bull/Irish Setter/Dalmatian mix - adopted in March 2009
Lola - Pit Bull mix - adopted in June 2009
User avatar
meltedspork
 
Posts: 729
Joined: Feb 13, 2008
Location: Yorkville, IL, USA
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:01 am   

Well the tank could be bigger and will be soon (have a much bigger tank waiting in my garage that they'll be moving into when me and my husband move to a new place when he gets home from Iraq) but it's definately fine for now, they have plenty of room in there, trust me, and I feed them every other day, I have cut back a little bit on their serving size. Thanks.
Hatchling71
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Jan 22, 2009
Location: Colorado

Post Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:02 am   

And I know I need to get a bigger/better filter but I cannot afford one at the time so I'll get one eventually. Oh, and yes I clean their current filters once a week.
Hatchling71
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Jan 22, 2009
Location: Colorado

Post Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:39 am   

I had a huge algae problem. I ended up moving and before setting up my turtles tank i wiped everything down with vinegar. Haven't had a problem yet (knock on wood).
I build acrylic ATBAs.
Rubicon
 
Posts: 664
Joined: Jul 7, 2008
Location: Fort Bragg, NC.
Gender: Male


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 78 guests