Habitat - Indoor :: Aquarium backgrong IN the tank?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:20 am   Aquarium backgrong IN the tank?

I want to take out all the river rocks in my 75 gallon. They are trapping so much garbage, it's disgusting. I'm trying to decided what to do instead...bare bottom or sand.....OR
They sell this aquarium background at the petstore that is made of vinyl or something and is listed as "waterproof"...the guy at the shop told me it was ment to go on the INSIDE of the tank and the water would hold it down. it looks like blue bubbles and would look cool as hell on the bottom of the tank. My turtle doesn't eat the plastic plants, so I think it will be safe, but can anyone see any reason this is a bad idea before I do it? [/code]
1.0.0 RES
1.0.0 Russian Tortoise
0.1.0 Eastern Box Turtle
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko
1.0.0 Pyxie Frog
0.1.0 White's Tree Frog
0.1.2 Parakeets
1.3.0 Dogs
0.1.0 Cat
User avatar
imderanged
 
Posts: 1824
Joined: Dec 25, 2007

Post Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:25 am   

if your tank has a clear bottom I would tape it to the underside or use standard sponges ( not wet to hold it in place. Otherwise waste will find it's way underneath no matter how "waterproof" it is. Depending on your tank I had a smaller tank that had a clear bottom and I put small marbles under it. I have also seen tanks with polished pea gravel underneath.
SeattleSlider
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Mar 9, 2009
Location: Pacific Northwest

Post Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:38 am   

Hi SeattleSlider, I think someone had previously posted an image pattern of river rock for exactly what you have described.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:15 am   

If you put it in the tank, you're going to have to silicon it down because its weight will be displaced in water. It won't be "held down" by the water.

I've seen a lot of people silicon in there backgrounds on the inside of the tank, it works well.
http://chrisredearslider.blogspot.com/
1.0 Red Ear Slider-Squirt
37g-Dwarf Gourami/Peaceful Comm. tank
1.0 Axolotl-Axle
0.1 Dog-Leia
User avatar
Chrisbarnett
 
Posts: 2399
Joined: Dec 26, 2007
Location: Cali

Post Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:03 pm   

I could tape it to the bottom i guess, but i really didn't want to try and more a 75 gallon tank... :roll:
1.0.0 RES
1.0.0 Russian Tortoise
0.1.0 Eastern Box Turtle
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko
1.0.0 Pyxie Frog
0.1.0 White's Tree Frog
0.1.2 Parakeets
1.3.0 Dogs
0.1.0 Cat
User avatar
imderanged
 
Posts: 1824
Joined: Dec 25, 2007

Post Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:50 pm   

Tape is going to lose its sticky in water after a little while.
http://chrisredearslider.blogspot.com/
1.0 Red Ear Slider-Squirt
37g-Dwarf Gourami/Peaceful Comm. tank
1.0 Axolotl-Axle
0.1 Dog-Leia
User avatar
Chrisbarnett
 
Posts: 2399
Joined: Dec 26, 2007
Location: Cali

Post Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:30 pm   

Ohh I meant UNDER the tank! LOL. it's just that it's gonna be a pain in the butt to empty yhte tank and take it down from the stand since its so big and all the tubing for the filter is attached over the side. Also there is a plastic bar across the bottom that is some kind of support, but the background is thin so maybe I can slip it under the bar. The reason I want to do all this is purely aesthetic, but the tank will look really silly if I take out all the rocks and don't do something else, because the way the stand is built, you will be able to look down though the bottom of the tank right at the filter and everything.
1.0.0 RES
1.0.0 Russian Tortoise
0.1.0 Eastern Box Turtle
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko
1.0.0 Pyxie Frog
0.1.0 White's Tree Frog
0.1.2 Parakeets
1.3.0 Dogs
0.1.0 Cat
User avatar
imderanged
 
Posts: 1824
Joined: Dec 25, 2007

Post Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:15 pm   

Ohhh okay. Just be aware that you will only be able to see it from a certain angle then because of the glass's reflectiveness.
http://chrisredearslider.blogspot.com/
1.0 Red Ear Slider-Squirt
37g-Dwarf Gourami/Peaceful Comm. tank
1.0 Axolotl-Axle
0.1 Dog-Leia
User avatar
Chrisbarnett
 
Posts: 2399
Joined: Dec 26, 2007
Location: Cali


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 120 guests