Habitat - Indoor :: substrate

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:09 pm   

I imagine that there is some bio-media property to the rocks, but taking them out, or cleaning, probably would not add a huge bio load.

If its gross, I'd say go for it.
Cap-hits, not Cafits.
User avatar
Caphits
 
Posts: 952
Joined: Jan 16, 2009
Location: Wyoming

Post Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:13 pm   

I'm a new turtle owner so I can't answer for them, but I have a fish pond and I took out my river rocks. Beneficial bacteria live in the filters, and a lot of really nasty stuff hung out below the rocks that I was never able to clean with a pond vacuum.
1 RES Barnie, 4 years old
7 dogs, all rescues (Misty, Chewbacca, Lexus, Toby, Sable, Claree, Harley)
1 cat, Eric
trudykurz
 
Posts: 113
Joined: Nov 4, 2008
Location: Houston, TX

Post Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:54 am   

I had the big river rock in my tank for quite a while and it was impossible to get clean. It collected so much garbage underneath. I just finished all the river rocks an hour ago.
1.0.0 RES
1.0.0 Russian Tortoise
0.1.0 Eastern Box Turtle
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko
1.0.0 Pyxie Frog
0.1.0 White's Tree Frog
0.1.2 Parakeets
1.3.0 Dogs
0.1.0 Cat
User avatar
imderanged
 
Posts: 1824
Joined: Dec 25, 2007

Post Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:45 pm   

On a rare occasion (maybe once a year) I take my river rocks out and give them a quick scrub if they're looking too scummy.
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
User avatar
BullDog
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3889
Joined: Jun 21, 2006
Location: BC, Canada

Post Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:17 pm   

It's a general rule that everything your turtles touch should be cleaned. Substrates trap the most dirt and overall stuff than anything else. The river rocks you use could be rinsed in hot water every time to need to clean the tank, and every few months should be bleached (two parts water, one part bleach, make sure the rocks do not smell at all of fumes and are rinsed thoroughly after being soaked).

My rocks get slimy real fast. Mostly the ones my turtles like to sit on the most.
Phryne - Japanese bobtail, 11 y.o.
Hurricane - RES, approx. 19 y.o., 7.00in. long
Typhoon - RES hybrid, approx. 19 y.o., 8 in. long
Sadie - RES, approx. 30+ y.o., 11.5in. long
Sophie - Colombian red tail boa, 15 y.o., 5 ft. long
User avatar
theartbook35
 
Posts: 2425
Joined: Mar 25, 2009
Location: Connecticut, US
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:16 am   

Beneficial bacteria does colonize on objects in the tank. I clean any rocks only if they get slilmy, which is rare. I even leave the green algae on most of them (it looks nice).
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 12993
Joined: Apr 21, 2005
Location: CT, USA


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 59 guests