Habitat - Indoor :: Might get some turtles

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Mon May 04, 2009 9:51 pm   Might get some turtles

A bit about me, I've been keeping fish for a few years now dipping into as many types as possible(SA/CA cichlids, African cichlids, and community fish). I currently have a 75g african cichlid tank(about a year old now), a 28g rasbora tank(potential turtle tank), a 10g shellie tank(7 months old) and a 6g fry tank.

So I'm thinking of turning my 28g tank into a small turtle tank for a pair of RESs, probably two males because they are smaller than females. Before I dive right in I was just wondering how long two males would be happy in a 28g bowfront.

Currently I was thinking of having the bottom 8" of the tank dedicated to swimming space, then the rest would have two basking sites in each corner with some ground between them(all made of plexi glass).

If the two turtles get too big, I do have a 75g tank with some rather peaceful cichlids. I could easily make a few basking spots in the big tank without changing too much up. Just wondering, I used the search buttom with no helpful results, how well turtles and cichlids get along, I've seen it done but with different turtles in longer tanks than a 75g(48").

Anyways, if anyone could help me out that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Burgerking
 
Posts: 2
Joined: May 3, 2009

Post Posted: Mon May 04, 2009 10:28 pm   

Welcome!

You have an interesting fish collection, but I'll warn you that care for turtles is quite different than that for fish. Red Eared Slider turtles need PLENTY of swimming space, probably more than you'd think they'd need, and they need about 2-3 times as much filtering power for the same amount of water because they're very messy. I would start with one turtle, and if you have the option of sex, go with the male.

A 75 gallon tank is enough for one average sized full-grown male Red-Eared-Slider. You'll want to make sure you have at least 10 gallons of tank capacity for every inch of turtle shell (front to back). Be prepared to have a pretty large tank. And also keep in mind that turtles don't really get along with any other animals in their tanks, even other turtles.

I recommend reading the general care articles on the main page of readearslider.com website. They give a great explaination for most of your questions.
-Chris
User avatar
papoopeepoo
 
Posts: 911
Joined: Dec 1, 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue May 05, 2009 12:24 am   

Welcome! It's always great when people do their research before getting a pet :D

The 28 gal will be too small for two hatchling RES within a few months, realistically. Two 4" turtles would be best in an 80 gallon tank to start, and then they grow!

You're right that males stay smaller, but that still means 7-9". We go by a rule of thumb of at least 10 gallons of water per inch of shell, so for two males you're looking at a minimum of 140 gallons.
Also, two males will likely fight, so you'd probably need to separate them, which means two complete setups.

Since this would be your first turtle, I recommend you only get one. Turtles are happier on their own, and don't need a "buddy". Starting with just one turtle is still a big commitment, but with less "complications" of having two turtles.

A 75 gal would be good for 1 adult RES, but as I understand it, cichlids are pretty messy, so you'd need some serious filtration. Also, RES are omnivorous, and wouldn't mind a tasty fishy snack on occasion. Any fish in with a RES has a very good chance of eventually becoming food. So if you're attached to your fish, or have some expensive ones in there, you might want to think twice before putting a RES in with them.

As Pap said, browse around the main site (www.redearslider.com) and the forums, and hopefully that will help you decide if you want a RES, and help you get a good setup if you decide to get one :)
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
User avatar
BullDog
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3889
Joined: Jun 21, 2006
Location: BC, Canada

Post Posted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:27 pm   

Thanks for the replies.

I thought turtles were slower growers than that and that I'd have a little more time to upgrade my tank size. Also, it was to my understanding that RESs were mostly carnivorous when young and slowly became more herbivorous(or at least less carnivorous) when they got older; that's where the idea of putting them with my Cichlids came from.

It's beginning to look like RESs are out of the picture for now, maybe I'll get one another time. I would still love to try turtles out, so if anyone knows of a species that stays a little smaller and might be able to go with my Cichlids eventually please let me know.

BTW, the turtle I've seen with A. Cichlids is a Snake Neck Turtle.
Burgerking
 
Posts: 2
Joined: May 3, 2009


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 121 guests