Habitat - Indoor :: repto-guard

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:11 pm   repto-guard

All right, I just put it in the tank any hour ago, so I have no results to share, it's my first time using it.

Basically is a 1 1/2 inch calcium block shaped like a turtle, and it's supposed to get rid of "organisms" (the packaging doesn't say what kind) and help control salmonella (we'll see). My mother bought it since they had been living with other turtles with my step-sister, and frankly, we don't know the conditions her turtles live in, or if they had any illnesses or if they may have given salmonella to my turtles. (I'm such an idiot, that, I suspect my turtles may not have had salmonella before this came up, because I would've caught it).

Way I figure, since it goes into the water, and turtles drink their water, obviously it's okay if Hurricane spent the last hour nipping at the block. (Kinda funny, she'd bite it, bounce back a bit, and do this over and over again).

Anyways, here's the ingredients and time is lasts:

Lasts: 45 to 60 days
Ingredients: Calcium sulfate hemyhydrate (99.9%), Sulfathiazole (less than 1%), Sulfadiazin sodium (less then 1%), Sulfamethazine (less than 1%), Urea (less than 1%)

It also says there should be one conditioner per 20 gallons. I have a 10 gallon half full (Look, I am buying a 35 to 40 gallon tub in a few days, don't even bug me about the tank being to small, they are alive and healthy and content, that's more important) but this is a slow release thing, according to the packaging, so, I figure at the worse the water will be more clean than it normally would be for 20 gallons.

My mother got it at walmart, too. Walmart does sell turtle food where I'm located, and pretty big tanks, the biggest tank price I've seen is roughly 300 give or take. That's about average price, from what I've noticed in other pet stores and other retail.

Has anyone else used this product, what were your thoughts? Hey, if it doesn't do anything for tank cleanliness, I won't take it out, because frankly, it can work as some sort of odd calcium supplement.
Phryne - Japanese bobtail, 11 y.o.
Hurricane - RES, approx. 19 y.o., 7.00in. long
Typhoon - RES hybrid, approx. 19 y.o., 8 in. long
Sadie - RES, approx. 30+ y.o., 11.5in. long
Sophie - Colombian red tail boa, 15 y.o., 5 ft. long
User avatar
theartbook35
 
Posts: 2425
Joined: Mar 25, 2009
Location: Connecticut, US
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:31 pm   

The general idea is that these are a waste of money and could even cause some bacteria to become resistant. In other experiences, I think someone said that it attracted bugs, another said it gave their turtle diarrhea after eating it.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:17 am   

I was thinking that I'd wait and see what this does, and if I like the result, I'll buy again.

So far, no bugs.

My turtles seem pretty happy with it being there, and I haven't seen any diarrhea. That could depend on the turtle.

I am noticing the water staying clear. Usually, a few days after a water change, their water starts to get ready to look bad before it actually looks bad and needs to be changed again. Well, it's not looking bad. Maybe it's magic...
Phryne - Japanese bobtail, 11 y.o.
Hurricane - RES, approx. 19 y.o., 7.00in. long
Typhoon - RES hybrid, approx. 19 y.o., 8 in. long
Sadie - RES, approx. 30+ y.o., 11.5in. long
Sophie - Colombian red tail boa, 15 y.o., 5 ft. long
User avatar
theartbook35
 
Posts: 2425
Joined: Mar 25, 2009
Location: Connecticut, US
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:16 pm   

For me, animals + chemicals = Bad.
Cap-hits, not Cafits.
User avatar
Caphits
 
Posts: 952
Joined: Jan 16, 2009
Location: Wyoming


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 124 guests