Habitat - Indoor :: Whats the easiest way to clean the scum off the tank?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:58 pm   Whats the easiest way to clean the scum off the tank?

without using a razor blade? what can i use that wont harm my turtle?
redearninjaturtles
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Mar 31, 2007

Post Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:01 pm   

An algae brush, hot water, and a lot of elbow grease.
FYI a razor blade is the best way to get the tough scum off.Just keep the surface wet and the razor flat.
User avatar
jozzep
 
Posts: 1497
Joined: Feb 24, 2008
Location: West Orange,NJ

Post Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:01 am   

I agree!
~Christi
1.0 RES: Mikey R.I.P.
1.0 Het for Albino Red Tail Boa: Kaa ~adopted out
0.0.1 Northern BTS: Petri ~now a well-loved class pet

1.0 Am. Staff Mix: Brutus R.I.P.
1.0 German Shepherd: Pax

1.0 Husband: Will
0.1 Daughter: Lily
User avatar
untsmurf
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4291
Joined: Jul 28, 2007
Location: Carrollton, TX
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:41 am   

You could try a Paint Scraper. I bought one with a metal blade and it worked great.
40 Gallon - Freshwater
1 Red Eared Slider Turtle Hatchling (1.5"), Moe
1 Female Electric Yellow Cichlid
1 Demasoni Cichlid
User avatar
pumpkin14
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Jun 11, 2009
Location: Canada

Post Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:24 am   

I have a pleco. It feeds off the algae but be prepared because they grow fast. I think mine has grown 4-5 inches in a year. They need to have a relatively big tank
davis_student
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Jan 1, 2008

Post Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:41 am   

davis_student wrote:I have a pleco. It feeds off the algae but be prepared because they grow fast. I think mine has grown 4-5 inches in a year. They need to have a relatively big tank

The turtles don't eat it?

I use a wet rag to clean the side of the tank off. and sometimes i scrape it with some fancy tool i found at a pet store.
I have 4 baby RES. Their names are, Bob, Motzarella, Mr.Turtle, and Mrs. Turtle.
Pictures can be found here
http://s408.photobucket.com/albums/pp16 ... 6446dd.pbw
User avatar
Sniffa
 
Posts: 109
Joined: Jun 6, 2009
Location: Texas

Post Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:53 pm   

I think we went through three or four plecos before we gave up. They're actually a lot messier than the mess they clean up. It's also really dangerous if the turtle eats them because they're really bony.
~Christi
1.0 RES: Mikey R.I.P.
1.0 Het for Albino Red Tail Boa: Kaa ~adopted out
0.0.1 Northern BTS: Petri ~now a well-loved class pet

1.0 Am. Staff Mix: Brutus R.I.P.
1.0 German Shepherd: Pax

1.0 Husband: Will
0.1 Daughter: Lily
User avatar
untsmurf
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4291
Joined: Jul 28, 2007
Location: Carrollton, TX
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:27 pm   

You could use vinegar. You just need to make sure to scrub really hard. If that doesn't work, then I'd say use a razor blade.
TurtleLover_S&B,

Squirt & Bubbles!The cutest turtles you've ever seen!!
User avatar
TurtleLover_S&B
 
Posts: 720
Joined: Sep 9, 2008
Location: Georgia

Post Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:50 pm   

I've been using a scraper meant for a glass stove-top. It works pretty well. I thought about using a Mr Clean Magic Eraser, but I'm not sure if it could be harmful or not.
1 RES- Tonberry
3 dogs- Dooku, Range, and Odin
4 cats- Vivi, Ryo-Ohki, Edea, and Zelda
2 rats- Ashe, and Smeagol
Washu
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Feb 3, 2009


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 132 guests