The zoo med spot lamp really isn't necessary. All it does is provide heat, no UVB light. I use just a household bulb for heat.
If you decide you still want to get a spot lamp (if you've got some $ burning a hole in your wallet ), you will still need a UVB lamp.
For the wattage, I would say you'd want to stick with the 75W, or maybe even the 50W. You'll need to double check the basking temp to make sure it's about 10 degrees higher than the water temp.
Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent." Frankie, "Young at heart."
Thanks. I just need the heat. I had a bulb that came with him when I adopted but it broke not too long ago. I've been using a regular bulb since as I read that on here but he hasn't been basking very much and sometimes I find him basking when it isn't on like he can't tell if the heat is even on :p
I keep meaning to buy a temp thing, will pick one up with the light, thanks!
Make sure the temperature is where it should be. Your water should be around 75-78* and your basking area should be ten degrees higher than that. Having the correct temps and providing UVB will encourage your turtle to bask. If it's still young, you can try adding some foliage to your basking area to provide your turtle with some privacy.
~Christi 1.0 RES: Mikey R.I.P. 1.0 Het for Albino Red Tail Boa: Kaa ~adopted out 0.0.1 Northern BTS: Petri ~now a well-loved class pet 1.0 Am. Staff Mix: Brutus R.I.P. 1.0 German Shepherd: Pax 1.0 Husband: Will 0.1 Daughter: Lily