Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:59 am
What jozzep said is right on the money! You also need to provide them with a heat source if they are going to be out for a while. And of course you want to supervise them at all times as they are strong and quick and can get into almost anything.
That being said, allowing your turtle to roam around your house doesn't offer any benefit, that I know of and is risking harm to your turtle. Allowing them to walk around outside is wonderful because they can be in the sun, which is great. But allowing them around your house doesn't offer them much needed exercise on land as they are aquatic turtles and spend all day swimming around so their muscles are in great condition. And they don't need to 'explore' your house because they could get into things that they shouldn't be in or they could accidentally meet something, like another pet or something.
I didn't answer the poll as the answer is apparent and has no bearing on this conversation.
~Christi
1.0 RES: Mikey R.I.P.
1.0 Het for Albino Red Tail Boa: Kaa ~adopted out
0.0.1 Northern BTS: Petri ~now a well-loved class pet
1.0 Am. Staff Mix: Brutus R.I.P.
1.0 German Shepherd: Pax
1.0 Husband: Will
0.1 Daughter: Lily