Habitat - Indoor :: Bio Question

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:19 am   Bio Question

What should properly cycled/colonized bio media look like? I have the black Rena stars, and white fluval ceramic rings. The stars have been in there for three weeks, and the rings have been in there for a week. I plan on leaving the filter alone for another 3 to 4 weeks as long as everything stays clean and flowing good.

When I finally open up the filter, what am I looking for on the white ceramic rings? (they're what I'll see in my bio tray, because they're in the top half above the black stars) I want to know what I'm looking for so I know if the filter has cycled fully or not.
'Grandfather' to Squirt, the 5½" RES
and Snoopy the HUGE dog that was SUPPOSED to be a beagle!
bover907
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Jul 3, 2009
Location: Pennsylvania

Post Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:02 am   

I don't think there's really anything you can see with your eyes on the biomedia. Your tank is fully cycled if ammonia levels are 0 or very low, and nitrate levels are 0 or very low.
After a while, the biomedia will probably get brown gunk on it, but that's just poop, and you can rinse it off in tank water.
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
User avatar
BullDog
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3889
Joined: Jun 21, 2006
Location: BC, Canada

Post Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:18 am   

i have a tray of the bio-balls and a tray of ceramic rings. i cleaned my filter last night after 3/4 months and all my bio media looked pretty much the same as it did when it went in. couple chunks of pooh was it. levels are all good.
cb
CB
 
Posts: 111
Joined: Jun 5, 2008

Post Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:11 pm   

The bacteria are single-celled organisms. This means you cannot see them with the naked eye. A good length between cleanings and clarity of your water are the signs of an established colony of bacteria.
-Chris
User avatar
papoopeepoo
 
Posts: 911
Joined: Dec 1, 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Gender: Male


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 130 guests