Habitat - Indoor :: Two Words

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:48 pm   Two Words

Algea Bloom


Besides getting a UV sterilizer, what else can i do too keep it under control. I have been doing regular water changes. It is next to a window, but never sees daylight due to the curtain always being closed. Any hints?
3 RES : Comet , Einstein, Lotte
2 Leopard Geckos : Jake and Jenny
1 Bichon Frise : Mike

I'm not scared of the dark, I'm scared of whats in it.
User avatar
Lantic
 
Posts: 345
Joined: Sep 15, 2008
Location: California, Orange County

Post Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:40 pm   

Limit the light as much as possible, make sure the water is not too warm, add aquatic plants to take away nutrients for the algae... thats about it.

Some use products like algae fix, though I'd try the other options first.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:17 am   

Thanks steve, i'll see what i can do to minimize the light.
3 RES : Comet , Einstein, Lotte
2 Leopard Geckos : Jake and Jenny
1 Bichon Frise : Mike

I'm not scared of the dark, I'm scared of whats in it.
User avatar
Lantic
 
Posts: 345
Joined: Sep 15, 2008
Location: California, Orange County

Post Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:01 am   

can the light from the uvb n uva build the algae??
*Kiki & Riri ~ 2 Female RES 5' - I lost Riri
* 2 Yellow Bellied Slider - One left
* 1 Chinese Golden Thread Turtle - Lost
*Yellow ~ Female Malayan Box Turtle
*Macho Kitty ~ 12 years male DSH Cat - RIP Feb 2012
User avatar
Azfar
 
Posts: 1282
Joined: Apr 23, 2008
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Post Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:03 am   

probably, the uva which gives of heat helps grow the bacteria. And im not sure what the uvb would do.
3 RES : Comet , Einstein, Lotte
2 Leopard Geckos : Jake and Jenny
1 Bichon Frise : Mike

I'm not scared of the dark, I'm scared of whats in it.
User avatar
Lantic
 
Posts: 345
Joined: Sep 15, 2008
Location: California, Orange County

Post Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:27 am   

the UVB would help the algae photosynthesize, because it's actually UVB that plants and algae use to make that green color. So yeah, they definately could contribute to the problem.
Rosepruner
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Jan 21, 2009

Post Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:30 am   

okay, so hows other peoples control their algae from grow in the tank?

is it because the placement of lights of UVA or UVB hits through the water?

I'm about to install the lights fixture to the habitat and i'm using ATBA.. so I hope the algae won't grow.. its been 2 weeks the water looks fine clean n clear.
*Kiki & Riri ~ 2 Female RES 5' - I lost Riri
* 2 Yellow Bellied Slider - One left
* 1 Chinese Golden Thread Turtle - Lost
*Yellow ~ Female Malayan Box Turtle
*Macho Kitty ~ 12 years male DSH Cat - RIP Feb 2012
User avatar
Azfar
 
Posts: 1282
Joined: Apr 23, 2008
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Post Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:06 pm   

Azfar wrote:okay, so hows other peoples control their algae from grow in the tank?

is it because the placement of lights of UVA or UVB hits through the water?

I'm about to install the lights fixture to the habitat and i'm using ATBA.. so I hope the algae won't grow.. its been 2 weeks the water looks fine clean n clear.


That's what I think it is. I think UVB plays a major role in algae growth.

How to stop it... well, I think getting the ATBA might just do it.
Phryne - Japanese bobtail, 11 y.o.
Hurricane - RES, approx. 19 y.o., 7.00in. long
Typhoon - RES hybrid, approx. 19 y.o., 8 in. long
Sadie - RES, approx. 30+ y.o., 11.5in. long
Sophie - Colombian red tail boa, 15 y.o., 5 ft. long
User avatar
theartbook35
 
Posts: 2425
Joined: Mar 25, 2009
Location: Connecticut, US
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:06 pm   

If it's just algae on objects like the basking area, I leave it as long as the water stays clear--I think it looks nice. At one point some really stringy algae started growing on the corkbark, and before I could decide whether or not to remove it, Tilly (my RES) ate it, taking care of the situation. :D

Lantic, how long are your lights on for? If they're on for more than 12 hours, cut back. Keep the water temp as low as is acceptable. You said you're doing regular water changes---do you do a total change then wait until the next one is needed? If so, do some partial changes more frequently. And if the water temp is warm, use cooler water to bring the temp down.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 12993
Joined: Apr 21, 2005
Location: CT, USA

Post Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:19 pm   

i have algae too - are there benefits on letting algae grow?

i don't see any harm.
Maltliquor45
 
Posts: 117
Joined: Apr 20, 2009
Location: NYC

Post Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:31 pm   

As far as I know, keeping algae in your tank doesn't offer any benefits. BUT! I'm not sure about the water cycle and how algae would affect the chemical balance in your tank.
~Christi
1.0 RES: Mikey R.I.P.
1.0 Het for Albino Red Tail Boa: Kaa ~adopted out
0.0.1 Northern BTS: Petri ~now a well-loved class pet

1.0 Am. Staff Mix: Brutus R.I.P.
1.0 German Shepherd: Pax

1.0 Husband: Will
0.1 Daughter: Lily
User avatar
untsmurf
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4291
Joined: Jul 28, 2007
Location: Carrollton, TX
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:32 pm   

all i know is that your water will have plenty of oxygen, but then your chemical balance could be screwed up.
3 RES : Comet , Einstein, Lotte
2 Leopard Geckos : Jake and Jenny
1 Bichon Frise : Mike

I'm not scared of the dark, I'm scared of whats in it.
User avatar
Lantic
 
Posts: 345
Joined: Sep 15, 2008
Location: California, Orange County

Post Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:33 pm   

The algae does help the water quality. I don't clean the back of my tank because it's black and you cant see the algae, and it takes nitrates out of the water and puts oxygen in. Very large aquariums use a vegetable filter, in which a large surface area is covered with a thin layer of running water. Algae grows on the surface, and the thin layer of water is highly oxygenated allowing the plants to filter the water efficiently. Unfortunately this takes a lot of space, and obviously you need to have light on it.
-robind
robind
 
Posts: 289
Joined: Oct 26, 2008
Location: santa cruz

Post Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:50 pm   

I remember reading somewhere that having some algae in the tank (not overrunning it) indicates good water quality. It's not harmful, just unsightly if there's too much of it or the water turns green.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 12993
Joined: Apr 21, 2005
Location: CT, USA

Post Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:11 pm   

Is this all kinds of algae, or just a specific type?
~Christi
1.0 RES: Mikey R.I.P.
1.0 Het for Albino Red Tail Boa: Kaa ~adopted out
0.0.1 Northern BTS: Petri ~now a well-loved class pet

1.0 Am. Staff Mix: Brutus R.I.P.
1.0 German Shepherd: Pax

1.0 Husband: Will
0.1 Daughter: Lily
User avatar
untsmurf
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4291
Joined: Jul 28, 2007
Location: Carrollton, TX
Gender: Female

Next

Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 119 guests