Habitat - Indoor :: HELP! Sand Problem

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:00 am   HELP! Sand Problem

I just bought another turtle yesterday and his name is fast and he is eating the sand!! is this normal? my other turtle never ate sand,but fast is and he isn't eating the turtle pellets! please answer quick i don't want him to choke :cry: :cry:
I Like Turtles!
theturtlekeeper
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Aug 6, 2009
Location: United States,California

Post Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:20 am   

The sand should pass through..mine ate sand for the first hour I put it in the tank and off and on the rest of the day...if he doesn't stop by tomorrow, you should probably take it out, but it is a judgment thing.

Also, I found that turtle bone (cuttlebone) distracted him from the sand for a little while..put some fresh pieces in the tank.
User avatar
adam85491
 
Posts: 956
Joined: Dec 28, 2006

Post Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:42 am   

why isn't he eating the pellets i gave him? and he only ate 2 fishes yesterday and thats it...
I Like Turtles!
theturtlekeeper
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Aug 6, 2009
Location: United States,California

Post Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:45 am   

The sand is new and he's more interested in that...if he has never eaten them then try different pellets or soak them in tuna juice.

If your turtle is small, two fish might be a lot.
User avatar
adam85491
 
Posts: 956
Joined: Dec 28, 2006

Post Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:54 pm   

He's not eating the pellets cause you just got him...It usually takes a week or 2 for new turtles to start eating.
It's fine if he eats the sand....It will pass.That's why most people advise it.
User avatar
jozzep
 
Posts: 1497
Joined: Feb 24, 2008
Location: West Orange,NJ


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 136 guests