Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:18 am
The difficult part is that turtles like fish, any fish.
To keep the tank clean, fish is not the answer. If you want to try, you can try
keeping a pleco. Those large turtles should be safe enough should they try to eat
a pleco. Some people say pleco produces more waste than the algae they eat.
So, to keep your tank clean, you need a good filter and good location of the tank.
I guess "dinner plate size" is rather large. In that case, two turtles that size need
much bigger tank than a 40 gallon. A good filter, from what I've read here, is one
that can cycle the amount of water in the tank five times an hour. Good location is
one that is not in direct sunlight, because sunlight grows algae fast.
I hope this helps.
RES - Ramen <f> (5
1/
4")
RES - Heine <f> (4
3/
4")
Asian Leaf Turtle - unnamed <m> (5
3/
4")
measured at Nov 24, 2012<
my turtles' pics >